3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Speed Signal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 05:52 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Speed Signal

Hey Guys,

I started a thread a couple days ago but not getting many responses...I think the title may be throwing off a bit, so now that I have more info, I am able to name the thread better to maybe arise more attention. I will copy and paste a couple things rather than rewrite all of the details. Please don't hate me, I just want to know where to start troubleshooting.

Having some strange intermittent issues with my truck. A couple days ago the ABS and Brake lights came on the dash...ran the codes, said rear wheel sensor. Shortly after, my cruise control wouldn't work intermittently...the green cruise light went out and wouldn't turn back on at all. Now today the ABS and Brake lights went out, the cruise light comes on when button is depressed, the speedo quit and nothing happens when I push set for cruise control

I thought I may have been in limp mode, cuz my MPG was droPping on OTIS, BUT i could feel the downshift/upshift when pushing tow/haul. After a while, things went frantic, the ABS and Brake liights were flashing on and off and beeping while speedo kept jumping from 0 to 65 for aboit 30 seconds then held lights on and speedo at 65...then MPG started climbing back up. Occassionally at random the rest f the drive it's beep, flash the lights and drop speedo but went right back

It went back to speedo not working at all on the way home, I also noticed the odometer not racking up any mileage at all. Lastly, the fuel gauge kept slowly dropping and raising, not much, but I was a little low, to where the low fuel ding and light come on, it's slowly raise back up above the level and turn the light off, then a few min later drop back down to the level to set the dinger and light, then back up just enough to turn it off...NEVER has done that before either, but it knowing how much gas is in it, the gauge still seems to be pretty accurate it is just moving just enough to flirt with the line in which it triggers alarms. I also plugged scanner in and scrolled through live info and it said vehicle speed: zero. Not sure if there is only one speed signal for computer and speedo or if they are separate, but it's not getting any speed signal it seems. Would that be the output trans sensor?

Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Vehicle speed sensor is on top of the rear differential. It measures carrier rotation. Check wiring and sensor.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:47 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, that makes sense being close by wheel sensor, maybe the harness got some damage and both sensors are intermittent as vibrations occur

Quick Reply: No Speed Signal