3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlight, brake lights, lamp out issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
mag0092
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight, brake lights, lamp out issue

I just purchased a 03 Ram with a Cummins. The driverside headlight is out along with the marker light. The taillights are out completely, no blinkers running light nothing. The "lamp out" light is on in the dash. I replaced the drivers side headlight bulb because it looked blown. I have checked all the fuses and relays. The parking lamp relay was making a weird sound. I pulled the relay out and whatever it was still made that noise. It doesnt make that noise all the time. Dash lights all work. The dummy light on the dash that says brake light is on as well. Like I said i just purchased the truck. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be your pdc (fuse box) they are susceptible to water infiltration from the bottom which can fry traces and the front controller. I would imagine the cummins to have this same weakness in design.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site

Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 PM
mag0092

Thank you I have been reading the sight for about 3 hours now. The pass side daytime running light is on no high beams. I'm going to look at the fuse box tomorrow. Does it just unplug from the bottom? The third brake light does work. I see its on a complete separate circuit though. The truck is amazing other than I can't drive it at night right now. Why does the daytime running light on the pass side only work though? the marker light comes on as well just doesnt flash with the blinker on. Dash lights work everything else does as well. I'll keep reading and see what I can find but I appreciate all of you help and input.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect your battery negative, then pull the fuse box, there's a bolt on the fender and a plastic screw in the front. All the connectors have locks on them, undo the lock (slide red tab down) then spread open with the white cover and work off. They are color coded.

There can be oxidization on the connectors, but the real issue is the circuit board inside. You can take apart the fuse block to further inspect it.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 AM
mag0092

Thank you I'm going to check into it now. Wipers work sometimes as well. would that also point to the fuse box as well?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
mag0092

So I pulled the fuse box out removed the fcm. Pulled all the fuses out smacked the fcm, found a 20a fuse blown. It went to my power seat which is weird because I dont have power seats. Put it all back together and boom everything works just fine. I Don't know what I did but its fine now. I guess i'll just wait and see if it returns. It saved my about 5 grand when I purchased the truck because the dealer had it marked down because of a "electrical" problem. Thanks for all the help

Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hopefully it will last. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad to see it all worked out. A common issue when one side of the lights it out is the PDC so keep an eye on it

Quick Reply: headlight, brake lights, lamp out issue