3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 hemi rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
keepushin770
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 hemi rough idle

I spoke a little about this in another thread I did not long ago but I have a little more info to give so maybe u guys can help me out more. The truck actually idles at about 500rpm as long as the air is off. Is that about right? When I turn the air on it jumps to about 650rpm but this is where it runs the best. It likes that 650. When everything is off it acts like that 500 idng enough. It has a slight in and out vibration, acts as if it just wants a little more rpm. Only does this at like red lights with everything off. I hate it. It barely has 40000 miles on it and this idle is bugging me. The dealer already flashed my PCM to fix the idle but nothing, can the idle possibly be set to always run between 600 and 650 so it never comes down to do this??

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

That 1 part of the story above this is supposed to say that the 500 isnt enough. Not idng enough? Lol iPhone keyboard went crazy. Couldn't figure out how to edit in mobile mode.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 AM
keepushin770
Amateur

No help? None??

Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
klruff1
Rookie

No input for ya yet....I have my 05 Daytona at the dealer right now for a misfire in cylinder # 2 problem that I couldn't get fixed as well as a low idle problem (500rpm w/o a/c on, 650 rpm with a/c on - just as you described). I bought this truck used with 34K miles, so it is still under warranty. Letting the dealer deal with it on their nickel. They said the PCM is up to date, I had them check since I heard there was a TSB on this. Could be my idle is related to the misfire. Strange thing is the truck runs great, the idle is rough. They have had the truck since last Thursday, did a top end cleaning (fuel system cleaning), but I guess it didn't work since they still have the truck. My salesman checked on the truck last night after the service dept was closed and told me the fuse box is out of the truck and they have some sort of diagnostic tool hooked up. If mine gets fixed I'll tell you what they did.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

Thx bro so that is a low idle?? Cuz damn it runs great man just at idle it surges in and out of a vibration. How did u know it had a misfire??

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I always idled a little low with the air off, maybe 500, but I think a tad higher. I think I only remember an actual stall once, but it would stutter and shudder a little with the air off when stopping at a red light.

Funny thing is, after I did headers (long after I did CAI and tuner) I checked my A/F ratio and it was lean, so on the advice of Marty who used to be at KRC Performance, I installed a 180* thermostat to bring the A/F up a tad richer to counter-act the headers, CAI & tuner leaning me out.

The funny thing with this is after the 180* t-stat, my idle went up just enough to keep it running smooth with the air off when stopping at lights. Now I also did reset the PCM when I installed the thermostat too. BUT, I had reset the PCM a few times before and that made no difference in idle, so I'm inclined to believe it was the cooler thermostat.

Might be worth a $20 try for y'all...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

Hammer is there no way to just simply turn the idle up a hair? Thru a programmer or anything?? I talked to u in my first thread about this and wd concluded with my short trips each day and city driving that my temp probably wouldn't cone up much and my gas mileage would suffer from the 180 therm.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

No way to bump idle that I'm aware of, I have the opportunity to "play with" a StarScan when I want to and couldn't even find a menu option for it, at least when plugged into my '04. The PCM controls idle based on readings it gets from various sensors.

I know that no programmer lets you bump idle on an '04, but I believe the Diablo can on '06+ Rams. A custom tune could of course do it.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Diablo can do 04+ Hammer. I can idle mine up or down accordingly.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Diablo can do 04+ Hammer. I can idle mine up or down accordingly.
I tried a Diablo on my truck, didn't like it though, was spoiled by the transmission firmness of the Superchips (and this was well before SC's full transmission tuning). I looked for an idle setting at the time, didn't find one, even asked on the Diablo forum and was told that it was an '06+ feature. This was probably about three years ago. Must have back added at least the '04s & '05s since that time.

I know at one time you could "request" an idle bump from SC and they'd do it on an individual basis. Dunno if that holds true anymore...

Quick Reply: 05 hemi rough idle