3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Hemi SLT Exhaust Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Ady
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Hemi SLT Exhaust Problems

HI - new to forum, looks like some knowledgable people here so her goes with my problem. 06 1500 4x4 SLT Hemi.

Bought the truck last year for towing the boat - love the truck and the power but....

The exhaust has blown off after the Y 4 times - OEM. Had it put back on and it's fine for a while, then it starts to blow a bit and if I give it too much gas, off it comes again with a loud roar. I have googled like crazy and cannot find anyone with similar problems. Engine mounts look okay. I have been considering a SS replacement and the consensus here appears to be the MG 16700, but am worried I'll still have problems.

Any clues???

Thanks; Ady

Last edited by Ady; 07-02-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Stick a Maggie on it or weld the one you got back on...

Old 07-02-2011, 08:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a unique problem. The front resonator and all comes off of the Y pipe?
My 08 doesn't have the front resonator, but the mid pipe has 2 hangers on it, I think. I'm not sure about the 06/07.
I do have a 16700 kit myself and it has never come apart. it is a nice kit.
I will say that if you do not have a tuner and have your MDS turned off, it does sound a bit funky, kinda like a jake brake on a semi with any louder muffler. It's not awful with the Magnaflow compared to say a Flowmaster, though.
If you want to keep the stock set-up, which flows pretty decent being 3" pipe, I would either add another band clamp at the connection that comes apart or have a shop put a couple of spot welds on the joint. This way it still wouldn't be too difficult to disassemble if need be. I actually put my stock stuff back on last night for 2 reasons. One, I drive about 80 miles round trip to work everyday and get tired of listening to the exhaust sometimes ( I have a Mustang for noise ) and it actually gets better mileage because I can use the MDS without the noise and it has a bit more low end torque over the better flowing system but at the cost of some higher rpm hp.
Personally, I would just try an extra oem style band clamp on the very end of the pipe where it goes over the Y connection.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I already know what the problem is. On the Factory OEM exhaust where the Y meets the straight pipe/muffler, there is a notch and a keyway that keeps those 2 pieces connected to another. If that keyway gets broken or marred and allows those pipes to slide apart, they will since there is no hanger right there but back by the muffler.

I would clampit in place and tack weld 2 or 3 dots and be done with it. That is what I do to all of my catbacks when they are installed. I put 2 tack welds on each connection where the clamps are and it never moves. It's very easy to grind down small tack welds to remove for future work. if I didn't tack my seams, my dual tips out the side would keep sagging and going crooked. Didn't even want to stay straight just sitting in my driveway. I've run over curbs and hit potholes pretty hard. Muffler and tips haven't budged and been on for 3.5yrs

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-03-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Ady
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys, think I'll try a couple of spot welds and see how I get on.

Quick Reply: 06 Hemi SLT Exhaust Problems