3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some fast help on wiring lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Senomar_DTK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some fast help on wiring lights

I am putting on my new reverse lights today and I am running into problems of them not truing on. I have done reverse lights before by tapping into the trucks reverse light wires and doing that again today is not working.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I ran wires to each light and connected the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative on each light and soldered the wires together (Ive never done this before so maybe thats where I messed up)

Under the electrical tape is where there connected by solder

Then I ran two wires one from the positive wires from the lights and the other from the negative wires of the lights and used the blue clamp connector to attach them to the pos and neg wires of the tail light reverse bulb.

I then used the clamp down connectors on the white and green positive wire on tail light and the black to the black .Can anyone help with what may be wrong and what I can do to get these to work when I go in reverse?
Hope I was somewhat clear on explaining this.:huh:

Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You need either a test light or a meter to check to see where the power is being lost. Start at where you are tapping into the truck wiring for power, then check each connection out towards the lights to see where it goes away. I would also verify that you are getting a chassis ground.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yep, what he said ^^^

I have a set on I built into a home made receiver and I just one end off a $2 four-pin pigtail extension to wire mine. Just snip all but the reverse wire and ground. Or do what I did and install a switch and run another wire from a constant hot source for lights in the back of the truck at the flip of a switch.
In my case because I cannot use a trailer when the lights are attached, a simple 4-pin extension was used. In your case, you could use a $2 four-pin "Y" adapter so both can operate at the same time.
I used to do it like your doing, except I always ground each light individually, but this is easier and can be removed if need be just by unplugging it...

Quick Reply: Need some fast help on wiring lights