3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
TravisL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump

Had a problem with my power steering pump. Did a few donuts in a big water hole. ( yes i know it was a bad idea). Anyway.... during said donut i ended up blowing the power steering pump. Didn't think much of it.. had it replaced..but the problem is that the truck keeps blowin the seals out of the pump. I have taken it back to the shop and had several put on it in the last 5 weeks...and i mean SEVERAL. I'm not at all upset with the shop cuz they have tried and called and done all they can to help figure out the problem. Replaced all the lines... the steering box... pump several times... just don't know where to go next, and am hopin that maybe you guys might have some ideas?????

THANKS

2003 DODGE RAM 2500 4X4

Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have replaced the pump, reservoir, lines and steering box all at the same time, then the only thing left is that something in the suspension is binding up causing too much drag on the system. If they did one piece at a time, then there is probably debris from the first failed pump floating around in the system. Perhaps an inline filter in the return hose might help if that is the case.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site BTW

Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 AM
TravisL

Thanks for the tip. I know they had jacked it up and made sure everything was turning freely, and plan next is to take a closer look at components to see that they aren't gettin in a bind..

Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck. Let us know when you find the problem.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM
TravisL

FOUND IT!!!
Found the ujoint in the left front wheel had all but welded itself solid! Said they jacked it up and two guys couldn't turn the wheel....

THANKS for the tips.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump