3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Condenser fan replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 PM
tg1toomany
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condenser fan replacement?

Sorry for the noob question but I have searched until my head hurts. Can someone point me to the thread on replacing the condenser fan without having to discharge the AC??

I know its the same old story but I had to ask.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
SpeedRat955i
Rookie

you have to

Old 05-28-2010, 07:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

tg1toomany - when you ask for info like this you really need to specify what type and year truck you have.

For example, on an 04 5.7, the condenser fan relay is relay number 56. There is a two pin connector on it. The Blk/Grn is ground and the Lt Blue/Wht is the relay fan output. Replacement fan P/N is 05104787AA and there are only 4 screws that hold the fan to the condenser

Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
tg1toomany

OK thanks. I figured the 3rd gen ram section was enough. I have an 03, 4.7 SLT, white with bed accessories. I do know how and were the assembly attach's but I am at a loss for how to remove without discharging. I assumed there was a way because of a thread I read that made a comment on it. In the thread it read search on "ac condenser fan" and it will come up. But alas it does not, either that or I am too ...... to locate it.

Thank you for the assist in my endeavor to fix this issue.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

NP and ur welcome. Add your trucks info in you Control Panel and Signature as well as your location so we know what you have and where you are at.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
tg1toomany

Ok I updated my profile and signature but my sig does not show??
Also I am assuming speedrat is correct and I am just going to have to discharge?

Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the 4.7 is the same as the hemi you CAN do it without discharging...
you just have to cut the condensor fan shroud where the ac line goes through it... i did this a wile back and it came out without having to remove the line. just look at it, you'll see what i'm talking about. it takes some wiggling....

Old 05-29-2010, 03:30 PM
tg1toomany

Yes I did see that when I purchased the unit and was looking at the install the first time around. But I thought I might not know something that you pro's here did. So I guess the follow up question here is. Does that cut weaken the performance of the housing in any way?? I have to assume that the upper left corner is still supported by the inner mold that makes the actual unit housing. So if I were a betting man I would say >>>

Thanks again for all your help. Now hopefully I can pay it forward to some other new members here.

W

Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some folks have had reasonable success replacing the fan motor. Apparently, it's a PITA, but doable.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 AM
tg1toomany

Honestly I may try that first. The only thing holding the fan to the housing is four peg bolts. So I am guessing it would be a matter of removing the bolts fron the side of the housing. Allowing small movement this should give me access to the fan nut. After removal of that I can move forward and take just the fan and motor.

But I dont know if I have time for that this weekend, after all it is a holiday. Oh and while we are remembering the hot dogs and hamburgers. Try to remember a family member or good friend.

Quick Reply: Condenser fan replacement?