3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:16 PM
jorgysram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing

SO i do believe my wheel bearing took a complete **** today, coming home from my cousins house started a funny vibration that then turned to smoking and screetching noise, but has anybody had any luck with chrysler on the recall for the wheel bearing issue? i bought the truck in 08 so i dont even know if they were repaied on it or not, but the driverside hub went out back in december now this one went

Attached Thumbnails Wheel Bearing-asd.jpg   Wheel Bearing-cimg028012.jpg  

Last edited by jorgysram; 08-02-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would be a wheel hub and a cv boot, providing that tear is recent, you may need a 1/2 shaft if that boots been torn for a while.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:12 PM
jorgysram
Amateur

ive got my work cut out for me the hub took out the caliper, and the rotor, the joint in the cv is done, so ive got new rotors new hubs, a new caliper and a new half shaft on the way, also havea new thermostat and water pump on the ay cus thethermostat is sticking and the water pump is leaking, found out that my truck was made 3 months before the trucks with the bad hubs tho so im not getting it done on the recall, price for all my wonderfull parts are about 760, that counts 2 rotors, 2 hubs, 1 half shaft, 1 caliper and bracket, and a water pump and thermostat

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine took out the rotor and caliper too, I had new rotors and pads but wound up buying 4 new calipers ( one was seized ) my parts added up to over 2 grand. The guy changing my hub split my cv boot, and the 20$ part hasn't been changed yet so I'll need a half shaft too. I wish sometimes I had more time to do my own service.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

Ya I am changing my second one in a month, the build date on my 2006 is September too. So no luck there, the second one is failing much faster than the first one did.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
jorgysram
Amateur

i got the skf hubs for my truck since the timkens were out of stock, 160 a piece on rock auto, but i was wondering if anyone has run them? if they have how well have they held up for you

Old 08-05-2011, 01:13 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

I bought timkens from a seller on amazon for 130 and 160 shipped to my friends US address. Hope it works out for you, it's no fun spending money that doesn't make it better!

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing