3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! Truck stalling after full tank of gas...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM
rc51racer30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update,
For last 6 months got gas from Caseys General Store. Used 89 octane with Ethanol. Noticed the stalling has been since I switched. Last night I went to Conoco and used 90 octane. Tank was empty. Drove around stop and go traffic for about 12 miles in town and truck never stalled. Coincidence?
Read about Ethanol causing vapor lock and having water. What do you guys think about the Ethanol being the issue?

Old 09-03-2011, 01:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe just bad fuel??

Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can get gas without 10% ethanol, go for it. Your MPG will usually go up 1 to 2mpg over the 10% crap.

The following users liked this post:
04HemiRamRob (10-23-2021)
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM
nforbes.2009
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Possible solution, including a possible permanent fix

Greetings,

I am new to the forum, as well as my truck (04 RAM 1500 SLT 5.7L HEMI Magnum, 4x4 Quad Cab). I too have had the stalling issue, and it is supposed to be a certified pre-owned vehicle. I may have found a permanent fix that the manufacturer may uphold at no cost to me or you, due to driving safety (that will be my leverage for having the dealer pay to fix a certified pre owned truck; key word will be CERTIFIED).

Originally Posted by rc51racer30
Update,
For last 6 months got gas from Caseys General Store. Used 89 octane with Ethanol. Noticed the stalling has been since I switched. Last night I went to Conoco and used 90 octane. Tank was empty. Drove around stop and go traffic for about 12 miles in town and truck never stalled. Coincidence?
Read about Ethanol causing vapor lock and having water. What do you guys think about the Ethanol being the issue?
According to what I have found, you are on the right track, but I do not think it is the gasoline. I have tried that as well. After my research, I may have found cause and solution via an accumulation of other avid Dodge owners. I have provided a summarized response below:

For anyone else that has this problem, here is an excellent explanation...

This problem is related to the purge solenoid, but isn't caused by it. The fact that this happens tells us the solenoid is working ok.
The evaporative emissions system stores fuel vapors from the tank and then burns them in the engine, to keep the vapors from going into the atmosphere. When you fill the tank with fuel the air and vapor that the fuel displaces has to go into the evap system. There is a valve on top of the tank that allows the vapor out, but is supposed to shut off when liquid fuel hits it as the tank fills. What happens is this valve fails and it allows you to push liquid fuel into the evap system when you push too much fuel into the tank. This liquid fuel goes into the vapor canister and lines. When you start the engine a couple minutes later the purge solenoid will come on to do it's job and burn these vapors, but with this failed valve it sucks up liquid fuel instead, so the engine runs rough and can die at idle.

There are two ways to deal with this. You could stop filling the tank all the way up. Leave a little bit of room at the top. The only permanent solution to properly fix it is to replace the tank, all lines and valving on the tank is serviced as an assembly.

The following is not for the same truck, but for another Daimler-Chrysler vehicle. It that they may fix it out of safety hazards:

PHP Code:
2006 Hemi Dodge Charger 95k miles.

SympthomsMissesstallsdieslurches after fill-up for a few milesSometimes had to restartProblem sometimes continues after restart.
Sometimes key removal/opening car door will reset system and make starting easier.

This is EXACTLY what happened with meThey replaced my purge solenoid.
Then I took my car back a few months laterwith a copy of this forum in hand, and some other related info I found on-lineThey had my car for two weeks (fortunately my plan has a free rental ;) and they re-replaced the purge solenoid... I said didn't you just do that? Did you read the thing I gave you when I brought the car in? duh!

Then they decided to replace the filler tube neck...they say we fixed a few Durangos doing that. I picked the car up again, drove it 1/2 mile, overfilled it this time to prove my point... it stalled twice in 5 min and returned the car to dealer. They know what they are doing - they want to avoid a costly warranty repair no matter what...Chrysler probably gives them incentives for it.

Dealer called me the next day, and asked me some stuff. Called me back, and they said the talked it over with the tech, who read the stuff I took in, and he suggested they replace my tank...and that Chrysler would pick up the cost. I'
m taking it in today for the new tank had to burn down my gas first.

This problem is SUPER DANGEROUSI work with a guy with a 300C that has the identical problem they have to be aware of itI bet they all have it.

On another forumthe guy said he dissected his old tank and found a white buildup preventing the valve from closing.

:
rocker
Again, I am new to the forum, and have not quite set it up yet. However, I have felt that it would be better if I help out my HEMI brethren first.

I hope it helps more than one person!

nforbes.2009

The following 2 users liked this post by nforbes.2009:
04HemiRamRob (10-23-2021), 3%Outlaw (03-17-2020)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 AM
2008_hemi
Default Happens to my 2008 Hemi everytime

Every time I fill up it stalls for the first 20 miles or so.

I haven't tried not filling it up all the way before. I will try that. I have tried filling up at a dozen or so different gas stations, and the same results, will not keep an idle when coming to a stop. I have had it stall out on me on the freeway...very annoying to say the least.

Its been doing this so consistently that it doesn't startle me anymore. I also don't fill up until the warning light comes on, so I will try filling up at 1/4 of a tank for a bit first to see if that fixes the issue, as one other person stated.

Then I will try the "not filling it up all the way" which will probably be the most reliable "no cost" fix.

I had a similar type of problem with a different vehicle a while back, it ended up being a dirty IAC valve, I cleaned it, and it stopped stalling after fill up.

Thank you.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing the other day and also posted without searching (whoops). I know its sort of a panic when that happens and you just want to ask.

From here on i'm considering my truck topped off once the first click hits. Any fuller and it does the stalling out too.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:11 PM
TR Custom Parts
Angry

This is really dangerous. Mine has been doing it to me randomly and seems to only be after filling up. Stopping at first click off on pump. Doesn't do it every fill up but when it does it is usually at a bad time. Just this past Monday it stalled out as I was taking a sharp turn to get on an entrance ramp that also has exit traffic in the other lane. Took me by surprise and really had to crank the wheel to get it to turn and not hit an oncoming car. If my wife was driving the truck it would have resulted in an accident for sure. Can't believe there hasn't been a recall on this.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM
gamaliet
Exclamation

I have replaced the fuel pump on 2006 dodge ram 1500 5.7l. It ran good for a couple of days and it stalled. I crank it but will not start. need some info on what next to check.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:54 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gamaliet
I have replaced the fuel pump on 2006 dodge ram 1500 5.7l. It ran good for a couple of days and it stalled. I crank it but will not start. need some info on what next to check.
gamaliet,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your concern. Is the new fuel pump OEM or aftermarket? Are you seeing any lights on the dashboard or are there any DTCs present?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:24 PM
chrisv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2006 Ram 1500, 5.7 l have stalled on me the past 2 fill ups, the first time it happened (last week) kinda freaked me out, happened just after I let off the gas to pull in my driveway about a half mile from gas station. Fired right back up, I parked it for probably 2 to 3 hours, then had to go back out, No issues. Filled up this afternoon, same place, on the way home stalled a little sooner but I think I let off the accelerator earlier for oncoming car, after i restarted with no problems, I backed down my driveway put in park and it stalled. It started right up again, idled for a while and I turned it off, it will sit all night but I will be on edge first thing in the morning. I just hit the 150,000 mile mark, thought that might be a indicator but others saying they are experiencing at lower mileage points.

The following users liked this post:
04HemiRamRob (10-23-2021)

Quick Reply: HELP! Truck stalling after full tank of gas...