3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! Truck stalling after full tank of gas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I've seen this come up a couple of times and in every case before, the person ran out of gas and the truck died. From then on, whenever the tank got like below 1/8 tank and they filled it, they had the stalling issue.

I don't think I've ever read where a solution was found. I know one guy posted a while back he just makes it a point to fill up from half a tank and it never stalls...
I can't give you a technical answer, but I remember reading about this, as well. I was going to ask if you ran it dry ever.

*EDIT* Just realized how old this thread was originally...

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 12-02-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:59 AM
04HemiRamRob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisv
My 2006 Ram 1500, 5.7 l have stalled on me the past 2 fill ups, the first time it happened (last week) kinda freaked me out, happened just after I let off the gas to pull in my driveway about a half mile from gas station. Fired right back up, I parked it for probably 2 to 3 hours, then had to go back out, No issues. Filled up this afternoon, same place, on the way home stalled a little sooner but I think I let off the accelerator earlier for oncoming car, after i restarted with no problems, I backed down my driveway put in park and it stalled. It started right up again, idled for a while and I turned it off, it will sit all night but I will be on edge first thing in the morning. I just hit the 150,000 mile mark, thought that might be a indicator but others saying they are experiencing at lower mileage points.
How did you make out with this issue? I’m the original owner on my 04 Hemi Ram and at around 50k I needed to replace the EGR valve as it randomly started to stall on me. It’s been good since.

I now have 117k on it and after the last 10 fill ups or so I’ve noticed It will be fine then about a mile later it will just shut off if I let off the gas at all. It seems to happen at almost the exact same location only after filling up now. (A curve ahead where I ease off the gas, then I’ll watch the RPM’s go way down as it’s happening. I hit the gas once and it actually stayed on but was very close to shutting off) The first time it happened in the pouring rain and it was very hard to steer. Scared the crap out of me. I expect it every time after a fill up now.

If I don’t fill it, it does not stall. It does this from gas at any station. It’s rather annoying to say the least. And now I’m noticing a strong smell of gas if fill up so I don’t anymore. I never let it go below a quarter tank and I used to always fill up. Now I give it like $50 if it costs $60 to fill. So it brings me close but just under full. Love the truck, it’s been great otherwise.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:52 AM
Onelife75

I had the exact same issue of it stalling after fill up with my 2008. You will need to replace the gas tank. This is a known issue and will not go away unless replaced. Replacement cost are around $1000 - $1500 installed.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:01 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

If you're smelling gas then it must be leaking somewhere. Fix the leak and it may solve your issue. Fill it up then get under it and observe the tank and neck leading down to it. Also the evap hoses.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-28-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:23 AM
Onelife75

It's the vents in old gas tank that is causing the stalling and gas smell. Trust me, I have dealt with this issue and resolved it. Get a new tank, problem goes away...

Old 12-20-2021, 12:34 PM
BOBODIV

My 04 Ram stall almost in every traffic light stop and few times in between.
I saw and smell gas every time when fill up, check from where, rubber tube connection with fill up metal tube.
Fixing that fill up rubber connection and vapor rubber connection tube 5-6 inches long 1/4 inch OD ( ID are 1/8" ) stalling stops.

Quick Reply: HELP! Truck stalling after full tank of gas...