DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Hemi Cold Air Intake makes truck Sluggish (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/305921-hemi-cold-air-intake-makes-truck-sluggish.html)

chroniccougar 10-05-2011 03:10 PM

Hemi Cold Air Intake makes truck Sluggish

All,

I recently installed a Cold Air Intake on my 2006 Ram 1500 Hemi. The truck sounds great but I noticed it seems to be sluggish. I rechecked my install and everything seems to be installed correctly. I also checked some other forums for possible solutions/causes of it being sluggish and I have seen an Throttle Body Position or an ECU relearn might be necessary. Shortly after seeing this I noticed that some people say neither exist for the Hemi. I'm kinda sorta hoping someone in this forum can help me out. Is there a Throttle Body Position or ECU Relearn process? If so how does it work? If not what else could be the problem.

Here is the link to the CAI I installed:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-1533
It's a K&N 57-1533

Thanks,

-Jeff

Lecrict 10-05-2011 03:18 PM

Did you do a reset? Remove the battery terminal, for a few...

chroniccougar 10-05-2011 03:24 PM

Lecrict,

Thanks for the quick reply, I disconnected the Neg battery terminal to install the CAI. I reconnected the neg battery terminal prior to my test drive and have not disconnected it since. Should I disconnect again?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Lecrict 10-05-2011 04:01 PM

I've seen it work before. On many different issues. Also have you done the throttle body cleaning? Mine was pretty dirty. There is a DIY thread here in the forum. Also might want to check / replace the PCV Valve.
I just installed a K&N CAI last weekend. The end result for me was stupendous! No sluggishness here.

HammerZ71 10-05-2011 04:32 PM

I'd do a reset and try that first. You could have also fouled the air intake sensor which would cause it.

Although CAIs by themselves don't do much for performance, they certainly don't degrade it, at least not enough for it to be felt...

chroniccougar 10-05-2011 05:44 PM

I'll definitely try the reset tonight. Is there any way to check if the air intake sensor is bad?

Thanks guys!

08HEMI1500 10-05-2011 09:08 PM

Yea this one can just be your brain housing group expecting a big gain and not getting it because a CAI won't give a "punch" like most people expect. But definitely clean the TB if you haven't

Caseys-dodge 10-05-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lecrict (Post 2613213)
I've seen it work before. On many different issues. Also have you done the throttle body cleaning? Mine was pretty dirty. There is a DIY thread here in the forum. Also might want to check / replace the PCV Valve.
I just installed a K&N CAI last weekend. The end result for me was stupendous! No sluggishness here.

OMG yes, especially if your PCV is old, look for my thread from a couple days ago, that was the biggest and most noticeable boost of power I ever had, and it wasn't even a 'mod' just routine maintenance that I neglected for too long.

HammerZ71 10-05-2011 09:37 PM

PCV is a lot like the EGR, if you tend to do shorter trips and/or live in colder climates it can get pretty gunky pretty quick. I live in the deep south and I tend to use my truck mainly for trips up to the farm and back which is 350 miles away from where I'm at now. At 50k I replaced the original EGR and I didn't need to, I threw the original in the box and kept it as a spare. At 30k I looked at the PCV and didn't even bother to clean it, it still looked damn near new...

chroniccougar 10-06-2011 01:58 PM

I tried the reset with no change. One thing I did notice is that I think the high end RPM may have gained a little performance but less in the low range. So from 1k-4k RPM its sluggish but between 4k-6k I notice a bit of a boost. Is this common with the CAI install on a Ram HEMI? My buddy seems to think I'm imagining things but I have been running that truck for just about 150 miles a day for the last 5 years and I have been able to notice the smallest change in the drive of the vehicle. I don't think it would be a problem with the cleanliness of the components as I noticed the change directly after installing the CAI and there should have been a degradation in the performance of the stock intake as well but there wasn't. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys you've all been great!

-Jeff