3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help for a electrical gremlin 08 megacab

Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 PM
colink
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help for a electrical gremlin 08 megacab

hello all. i am new to this "forum thing" so please bear with me. I have a 08 1500 hemi mega cab with a gremlin running through the electrical system! when i get to 30km/hr the intirior lights come on and the "door ajar" alarm starts binging. this goes on for 5-10 min. not only that but the back drivers door lock will not work uless you manualy do it, the factory remote start wont work. assuming beacuse the truck thinks a door is open. and 1/2 the heater panel lights are out. this all happened within a couple of days!!!!!!!!!! so if anyone has had any experiance with this or can point me in the right direction (were to post such a question) i would be so gratefull! thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I will be moving your post to the correct section, this way someone maybe able answer your question.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps there is a broken wire in the harness for that door? Not sure why it's speed-sensitive. Vibration or frame movement, maybe.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

08 is canbus operative so that means 1 wire can control numerous areas of the truck.
Most controls go from the TIPM through the Speedo cluster because that's where the controls/computers are.

My back door lock has intermittent problems as well. I always thought it was from my Dynamat catching the lock and never cared to look into it cuz if/when it does happen, pressing unlock a few times makes it work.

Either you have a short in a wire or there's a problem within your cluster or TIPM. Not too much diagnosis there, more of actually finding the problem once it occurs. i would suggest unplugging your remote starter to see if the problem still persists. That's all you can really do right now to narrrow down the possibilities.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 AM
colink

thanks for the suggestions so far. tried the button till my finger hurt and the lock still never worked. the remote start is a factory one so i wouldnt even know were to start unplugging it unless it just means tracking the fuse down and pulling it. the canbus stuff "scares me", should probably just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. thats why i like my 91 gm 1/2 ton, fix the damn thing with a hammer and duct tape!!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You might have numerous DTC codes that a delaers Starscan tool will pull up. These are seperate from your Engine DTC light on the dash. They are "hidden" codes if you will.
If you bring it to the dealer, make sure they properly diagnose it and not put the scanner tool up to it and then say you need a new tipm because that's what they all try to do because they don't want to take the time to trace the problem. Most for that matter don't know how without the tool telling them exactly where the poblem is. The mechanics these days are getting dumber and dumber and more dependent on computers to guide them. Seems like none want to pull out the old multimeter and probe a few wires.
Their scanner will tell them what's been set off and what is still currently "Active" if any? If none are still "Active", they can't use a multimeter to find the problem until the issue is active.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM
colink

well its been a while. the problem is now fixed!!! all it took was a dozen or so butt connectors and an hour of my time. pulled the back door panels off and pulled the boots in the jamb. low and behold, pretty much every wire was either broken or about to break.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help for a electrical gremlin 08 megacab