3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
pfont
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck wont crank

2004 dodge ram 1500
About 2 hours before this happend the truck cranked. My son removed the neon lights he installed. Now the truck wont crank.
When you turn the ignition switch (not all the way) the gauges on the dash jump (one time), the lights come on, radio comes on. When you turn it completely over. it makes a really fast, similar to clicking but a rougher sound then just a slow click, click, click noise that I have heard before when a battary was dead. The gauges on the dashboard jump again and all the dashboard sensor lights come on.

The windows will roll down and up, so could it still be the battary?

I have not had the opportunity to hook it up to a charger just yet. or even try to jump start it.
Just trying to figure out where I need to go if those steps don't work.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 AM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would vote the battery, or the connection. Were those neons directly connected to the battery terminal? Or did he tap in somewhere?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:15 PM
pfont
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were directly hooked to the battery terminal then he installed a toggle switch.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a multimeter, probe the battery and see what it's currently at before you charge it. It should be above 11.6V If it's below, but above say 11V, your windows may still work slowly, but it's not enough "sensed" voltage for the computer to allow cranking.

Quick Reply: Truck wont crank