3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking to buy 2007 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 - COULD USE YOUR ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
MDGrand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy 2007 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 - COULD USE YOUR ADVICE

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and could use some advice.

I am very interersted in buying a 2007 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 .It comes with the 6.7 cummins and automatic trans. It has some pretty low miles at 59K and looks to be in very good shape.

My concern is over a few issues...

I know the 6.7 came out in 2007, a VIN # search showed no recalls on this particular vehicle, but I know they had EGR issues and subsequent turbo issues. What can I do to verify this is not a problem engine?

Also.. I have been suspect of Dodg's trannys for a long time. Even thought I think the looks and especially the cummins is an awesome engine, I have heard little about them upgrading or making a more robust tranny. Can anyone here give me some info about their automatic trannys in these trucks? What really is the life of them and are they still known for having issues?

Much thanks!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:20 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly couldn't answer any of your questions but if its clean then you are a lucky SOB because that's basically my dream truck... except with a 5.9. I say get it!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The rush to meet new EPA standards caused major issues with ALL diesel engine manufacturers making engines for medium duty trucks in America. The 6.7 CTD undoubtedly suffered from it as did the Ford 6.0 PowerStroke (probably the most troublesome diesel engine ever put in a truck) and GM suffered from much the same emissions problems that plagued Cummins.

For the most part, the Cummins issues have been solved with PCM upgrades and tweaks over the past few years. IMO the engine isn't on par with the legendary 5.9 CTD, but reliability has been improved dramatically. IMO provided the truck has been updated with the newest firmware, problems should be minimal.

As far as the tranny goes, ALL Ram trucks have suffered through lackluster transmissions, prompting the phrase "best engines in America mated to the worst transmissions". But if there was one good thing that came out of Daimler (Mercedes) ownership, it was the transmissions. The 45/545rfe transmissions in the half tons are infinitely better than the trannies they replaced.
The last "holdover" from the 2nd Gen "nightmare" transmissions was the 48re which was paired with the 5.9 CTD. Shame too because IMO it was the single best diesel made by anyone in a medium duty truck, probably only rivaled by the Ford 7.3 PowerStroke. A 5.9 CTD with an NV manual transmission was a tank!

But with the 6.7 came the Daimler designed 68rfe, basically a 545rfe on steroids. Identical to the 545rfe except for a larger, beefier bellhousing, forged internals and a revised gear ratio for the higher torque of a diesel engine along which included the deletion of 2nd Prime which is probably the only weakness of the 545rfe.

IMO the transmission is a HUGE improvement over the 48re and is on par with the Allison offered by GM in both strength and longevity...

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 2007 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 - COULD USE YOUR ADVICE