3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram that randomly dies while in drive.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Ryan.lee25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram that randomly dies while in drive.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram with a 5.9. As I drive down the road my truck will randomly die. No Check Engine lights, no studdering, no noises, it just dies. Once it awhile it will start right back up, most of the time I have to wait about 10 mins then it will start back up. Even when its not starting I am not getting any codes. I replaced the fuel pump relay, I can hear the fuel pump, I replaced the ignition coil, the distrubtor/rotor, the TSP, and the several other relays. I am leaning towards the PCM. Does this sound about right?

Also the truck idles fine, the fuel pressure is right where it should be, and it never stalls out when I am at a light or stop sign, ALWAYS when the truck is in motion.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 PM
mvbowens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check to make sure you have OEM spark plugs

on my 08 Ram 4.7 there are 16 plugs. the bottom(exhaust) plugs are high performance) plugs and the top(intake) are regular plugs. I install Pulstar Iridiums in both places and my Ram would die at stop lights or slow idle. I changed the top plugs back to oem and have not had a problem sinnce.

Quick Reply: Ram that randomly dies while in drive.