3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wiper question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Poorman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face wiper question?

hey yall got a windshield wiper question, is there any way to "park" the wipers up higher on the window? on my toyota tundra i could just "bump" the switch and it would hop the blades 2 or 3 inches up the glass and they would stay there, then the defroster would keep them thawed also by "parking" them up higher when shutting off the truck they wouldnt freeze down as bad,

ive tried shutting off the truck with the up but they go back down anyway even if i open the door they still go down all the way,,

PS also because they wont stay up when shutting off the truck it makes it hard to change the blades too, i had one pop off on the interstate the other night and it was a bear trying to reach it....

thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No way that I know of but the only thing you could do is look at the mechanical or electrical stops and adjust if possible.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you adjust the wipers higher while they are parked, you will cause the wipers to go to far at the top wipe falling off the dirverside of the winshield.

I know its a pain but you could pull the wipers off the winshield and they'll never freeze to the glass. That's what alot of people do around here in NY.
But how much snow or ice could you possibly get in Tenn.?haha

I would also suggest getting RainX orange colored wiper fluid(-25*) Works great. The green stuff for bugs is terrible IMO.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Poorman
Rookie

thanks guys, yea we dont get a lot of snow but we do get quite a few days a year that the snow piles up on the glass and freezes up. i think if i can find a wire diagram for the wiper motor im going to put in a switch to shut off the power so i can park it where i want and when i dont need to mess with them i can leave the switch on and they will park them selfs

Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no adjustable stops for the wiper assembly, what you might try, is pull the wiper arm off the drive rod and rotate it up one tooth. That will put the drivers side arm near off the windshield, but will stop approx an inch higher in park. I understand what you mean by the freezing, I wish the defroster ducts had been directed more towards the wiper area, or set them closer to the windshield. I get huge icing problems in the winter under the blades while I'm driving

Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Poorman
Rookie
Talking UPdate

update on the wiper parking..... IF you want to do it, go under the cowel and cut the small brown wire with the LITTLE white stripe (there are 2 brown wires with white stripes one id smaller) and then wire that to a switch under the dash when you want to "manually" park them turn the switch under tha dash off when you want them to work normally turn the switch on and leave it on.

NOTE when i first cut the wire and turned on the wipers they didnt shut off even when i turned off the key.... dont panic they will stop in a few seconds then they are straight manual till you hook the switch up...

now if its winter or you want to stop the blades to change them or clean them you can stop them where you want....

2nd NOTE,,, sorry for the edit, i wanted to "proof" my results a little more before tell everybody it works, ok it does work but i noticed that when you first start the wipers they will run about 5 or 6 times before stopping then you can set them where you want.....

Last edited by Poorman; 01-14-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

On nights you are expecting a freeze or some snow, pull your wiper arms off the windshield and lock them straight out. Then, in the morning, just let the spring snap them back down on the windshield, and the frost/ice layer breaks off the rubber blades.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... all that work and all you had to do was pull the wipers away from the windshield a little bit while your at work or w/e

Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Poorman
Rookie

Originally Posted by wink2873
wow... all that work and all you had to do was pull the wipers away from the windshield a little bit while your at work or w/e
well dont do it then,

i like to keep the wipers up over the defrosters when im going down the road to help keep them from freezing up with road grime and slush on the interstate...

Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
bremsstrahlung
Amateur

Love these forums. Everybody is going in different directions. I found this post while searching for a way to park the wipers LOWER on the windshield. The exact opposite of what the OP wanted.
I'd like to get them more out of sight while sitting in the cab, similar to what they've done on the '09+ Rams. Just looks cleaner to me. Only thing I can think is to find replacement arms with different bends.... but, geez... how do you even begin researching something like that.
Anyway, don't mind me. I know this isn't the original intention of this post.

Last edited by bremsstrahlung; 02-27-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: wiper question?