3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

temp gauge running cold?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Poorman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face temp gauge running cold?

hey yall i got a question,,, my 08 dodge shows very low temp on the gauge when its cold out UNTIL i drive it down the road about 10 or so miles before it starts to move up much, the picture below shows what it looks like after sitting and running for 20 min when it was 30 outside, thats all the higher it got.. it was putting out some heat but not a lot. NOW when the temp gauge gets to the middle where it always runs the heat in the cab will burn you out,

any ideas why it dont heat up good when idling ??? with my remote start it only runs 20min then shuts off and at this rate the truck is still cold.

PS it only has 28000 on it

thanks

Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Stat stuck open or not there at all.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, that would be my guess. The trend among thermostat manufacturers today is to make "fail safe" thermostats, meaning when they fail, they stay open as opposed to the way they all used to fail shut and cause an over-heat.

You can check your thermostat by removing it and putting it & a kitchen temp probe into a small pot of water on the stove and turn on the heat. See at what temp the thermostat opens. Of course if it's completely failed open, it'll be open when you remove it and you'll know right away.

A properly functioning stock thermostat should remain closed until the water temp reaches about 195*...

Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to find a fail-open for the Hemi. I know they exist, but no one seems to carry 'em.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Poorman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok Thanks for the replies NOW if anybody can help me with the brake controller post im about to make that would be great.....

Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It could also be that your fan is clutched and always rotating, so when your sitting idle, it's throwing cold air at an engine with no load. My truck takes alooong time to warm up at idle as well. I can hear the fan whirling loud if i start it and drive off within the first few minutes of starting it.

If it doesn't overheat or it does put out very hot heat in cold temps while driving, i doubt it's your T-stat

Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i was kind of thinking the same thing but not sure if they still used clutched fans.

what you described almost sounds normal. i installed a electric fan in my 81 and even after it sits idling for 10 minutes it is only just hitting 140*F but once i hit a highway the temp gauge just jumps up to 200*F.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's true 'dog. You're probably right. I've been running e-fans on their own temp controller so long I didn't even give that a thought...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: temp gauge running cold?