3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant afford this.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
mcredimus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant afford this.

Heres the deal. I have had my 2006 ram 5.7 hemi with mds at the dealer for the second day now. I took it in with a intermittent misfire and received the bad news today. They told me it is either a clogged oil port or a bad lifter. The cost is 1900+ to replace my lifters. What should I do?

I used to work on cars up until a few years ago and don't think that changing lifters is a big deal, however, I know this is not a typical engine. Is there anything special in a lifter job? I know I have to pull the head, but are there any special steps or procedures in putting it back together or is it just a "traditional" head and lifter replacement?

Is there any "trick" like a oil detergent or system cleaner that has worked for anyone else?

I don't have 1900 dollars. I am willing to do the work myself but don't know if I can.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
mcredimus

So after reading through a few of the Superchip and diablo threads I have decided to get a sc tuner and turn off my mds. I do have a question though, I am assuming that since my misfire come and goes if I turn off the mds then once the misfire goes away it should not come back. Can anyone confirm or deny my assumption?

Last edited by mcredimus; 02-19-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What octane are you running? My girl filled up my truck ( she was just trying to be nice ) but filled it up with 87 octane. Everytime I floored the gas pedal my check engine light would come on, plus it also run like crap. Plugged in my scanner and it said misfire detected. I filled it back up with Chevron 91 like I always do and it runs great again and I haven't seen a check engine light since and that was months ago. Don't know why but it loves Chevron 91.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 PM
mcredimus

I have always ran 87 never had a problem untill now. Only put 84k miles since 06 after reading through the forum for several hours I dont think I will go below 89.

Last edited by mcredimus; 02-19-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is an ongoing "argument" around here, but I've seen cylinder failures to include scoring of the walls, piston issues and lifter problems with the Hemi and in EVERY case the owner is/has been using 87 octane fuel over extended periods.

Matter of fact there are guys here and especially in the 4th Gen section who have about become belligerent in defending there use of 87 octane.

I know the "book" says "89 octane recommended but 87 is ok", but it's just not a good idea in this engine over a prolonged period of time. I can't say for 100% certainty that it's from using 87 octane fuel (nor do I think even a mechanic with the torn down engine in front of him can), but if I were a bettin' man, I'd put some money on it.

A good, mild engine treatment used over time (as opposed to a strong treatment in a one-shot deal) would be adviseable, but if the extent of wear/damage from a few years of pre-detonation is too severe, might be nothing you can do short of engine work. Stick to the stuff that's safe/recommended to put in EVERY tank instead of those "once every 3000 mile" cleaners.

As far as the lifter go, I've never dug that far in an MDS Hemi, but it's not any more of an issue with a non-MDS Hemi than any other engine is.

BTW Arctodus, EVERY Chrysler engine I've owned over the past dozen years (four 4.0s, three 4.7s, a 5.9 and my Hemi) have all seemed to prefer Chevron fuel over most other brands, be it 89 or 91 octane (I haven't run 87 in anything other than 4 banger econo-cars). Of course that's comparing E10 to E10, ALL my engines LOVE non-ethanol fuel when I can get it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-19-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:29 PM
mcredimus

The miss is intermittent. It comes and goes. My assumption is if the miss is caused by the mds opening the valves and not being able to return them to normal or "sticking" open and I turn mds off, once the miss goes away, it should not come back. If it was a burnt valve or a bad cylinder the miss would be permanent, or go away at higher rpms.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its weird isn't Hammer, but after all, most of the car manufactures use Chevron when they do their MPG government testing so that has to mean something.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I've always run 89 or higher in my HEMI. The 5.9 drank the 87 but after hearing all the horror stories on here about the 87 destroying the HEMIs I figured 10¢ a gallon was good insurance..

Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Does it have the correct weight oil. 5W-20 ?

Quick Reply: Cant afford this.