3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why does my front end wobble in 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my front end wobble in 4wd?

ever since I put on 1.5" spacers on my truck, I started getting the wobble whenever I used 4WD and I gave it throttle, it would go away once it reached passed 3k rpm. So I replaced my stock 20" wheels with a set of 20" Moto Metal wheels with a -18 offset which is about the same as the spacers and still the same problem. Then, I went ahead last week and replaced EVERYTHING in the font. (primarily bc the drivers side cv axle had a rip. So I replaced both CV Axles, lower ball joints, tie rods and complete upper control arms with new upper ball joints and guess what.... STILL WOBBLE... it clearly is the negative offset wheels, which I guess I will have to just live with the wobble then, since I only use the 4WD in the winter, but it still sucks!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:29 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

no one?

Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the hubs themselves? How are the bearings? I know you said tie rods, but were they outer tie or both inner/outer?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 PM
jkgusaf
Rookie

I personally thinks its a problem with either the way the transfer case is mounted, or the way the front axle is mounted. Mabey a combination of both. They are both rubber mounted.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Xler8er
Rookie

Your wobble is caused from your leveling kit.
Some people get it, some don't..I dont experience it with mine in the snow sand or mud.I hear people removing there kit because they cant stand it..Then there 4wd works like a champ after the kit been removed.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 PM
jkgusaf
Rookie

Its not from the leveling kit, mine did it completely stock. Stock wheels, tires, no level NOTHIN! and it still did it.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Xler8er
Rookie

The original Post from Vikingdiesel mention a level kit, then he started experiencing a wobble.Which they say the level kit will enhance a shutter.
I hate to see some one spend all that time and money when a level kit might be the problem..Do a search in the forums and you will see lots on this topic.I hope the parts you replace where failed and not miss diagnosed..

Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vikingdiesel
no one?
Pretty funny because THESE guys feel the same way.

Please respond to them.

I'd say it's your leveling kit. Did you put the spacers on right when you got your leveling kit done or did your run the level in 4wd on stiock tires afor a bit with no wobble?

Many guys have experienced the same problem with level kits on stock tires. Not too sure the spacers or negative offset is the issue.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

Originally Posted by boosted-fc3s
How about the hubs themselves? How are the bearings? I know you said tie rods, but were they outer tie or both inner/outer?
nope, all new

Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

Originally Posted by Xler8er
Your wobble is caused from your leveling kit.
Some people get it, some don't..I dont experience it with mine in the snow sand or mud.I hear people removing there kit because they cant stand it..Then there 4wd works like a champ after the kit been removed.
hmmm. it only happens from a dead stop or when I gradually get going, NOT off a role when I give it gas, so I guess its the leveling kit though.... huh... well im def. keeping the leveling kit... haha

Quick Reply: Why does my front end wobble in 4wd?