3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff between the 05 and 08 Mopar CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM
08-HEMI-RAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff between the 05 and 08 Mopar CAI

This is my first post on this site so please bare with me here and I apologize for the long description but here I go

I just recently was given a Mopar Cold Air Intake system with a fairly new K/N air filter. The previous owner had this system installed on a 2005 Hemi Ram. My hope was to install this unit on my 2008 Hemi Ram, then I found out that Mopar made two different CAI for different years of the Hemi Ram.
CAI for 2003-2005 http://www.moparperformanceonline.co...ntake-ram.aspx

CAI for 2006-2008
http://moparonlineparts.com/product_...oducts_id/3634

Now thinking that these two Ram’s couldn’t be that different under the hood I did try to install the older model CAI on my 2008 ram. Besides running low on time the other night and finding two bolts that are hidden under a piece of frame that holds the OEM air box in place requiring me to remove the wheel well liner to remove OEM air box mount, I made the discussion to back up and go back to stock until I had time to remove the wheel liner and those two bolts. Without being able to remove the OEM air box mount I couldn’t get the heat shield in place. Before putting the stock unit back in I did some check on the space for the rest of the installation. I thought I was on my way to a perfect fit, looking at the CAI pipe going over to the passage side of the engine compartment everything seems to line up just fine. Even a special two way bolt (that came with the CAI) to mount the pipe to fender well. I thought I had it made, but looking at the pipe and the location where the CAI would reside I don’t seem to have much room for an air filter.

My questions are
1. Am I wasting my time or do you think this CAI should fit?
2. Is the mopar CAI a tight fit on a 03-05?
3. If you have a mopar CAI installed Do you have pics?
4. Do you know if the 2003-2005 has either smaller head lights or window washer jug than 2006-2008?

Thanks for any input you can provide
08-Hemi-Ram

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

The second link has an intake that connects to the stock air hat. The first pic replaces it. Your clearance should be fine. The two bolts that hold your hemi hat on are accessible from the engine bay. No need to remove the wheel well. Take them out and pull out your iat sensor. Take the top of the air box off, remove the filter, and pull the bottom of the air box up. It isn't bolted down so it'll come right off. Then unbolt the air box bracket. Test fit the new cai. Should fit without problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
08-HEMI-RAM

Thanks for the reply, I plan on trying this again this weekend and will let you know my outcome.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM
08-HEMI-RAM

Dudemanbrother
Thx again for the advice. I did get my CAI installed today and everything did work and fit just fine. I did have to remove the wheel well liner to remove a couple of bolts from the bottom of the bracket that holds the air filter on. but all and all it works

Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Oh ok I thought you were talking about the hemi hat bolts when you said that. Glad its working for you.

Quick Reply: Diff between the 05 and 08 Mopar CAI