3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Ram 1500 - 545RFE Trans. fluid capacity

Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
cdn-pk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 Ram 1500 - 545RFE Trans. fluid capacity

First i have to say, i love the site, been coming here for repair info and aftermarket part info for years (probably 2003ish). Had a 95 ram and recently upgraded..... which now leads me to the need for my first post.........

Just did the fluids on a new to me:
2006 dodge ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with the 545RFE transmission and the tow package.
I changed out the transmission filters and drained the fluid (no i didn't flush). But here is the problem, i spilled at least a litre ... at least a litre probably more. so i know for sure i pulled out 8 liters. So i put back in 8 litres.

but,

When cold the fluid is close the the Top lower hole, After i wipe the dip stick and put back in (all the way) and pull it out it's hard to get a good reading, my gut tells my i should add more. So i took her for a 130km trip the fluid was warm (not hot) and then the fluid would read above the second hole.

Previously the fluid was in between the upper two holes when hot, now i can't seem to get it hot enough and it is not showing between the upper two holes.

How can i determine if i have enough fluid in. Or how could i heat up the tranny with out abusing it.

Other information:

1) vehicle always checked level, running and i go through all the gears stopping from 2-5 seconds, leaving it in Neutral to check fluid level.

2) for those that can't remember 1 Litre is approximately 1 US Quart (1 US Quart = 0.946 L)

3) the Haynes manual says 6.0 quarts, which is BS because i pulled out more. and i have read capacities here from 6L to 16.5L. So i think i need a little direction.

4) Transmission does not display any problems that i could relate to low fluid, i goes great in all gears, shifts seem as good as they were.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

The total capacity is 17 qts. You have to get it to operating temp to check it accurately. So however long it takes driving around to get your temp gauge to its usual spot, then find a level spot, run through the gears, back to neutral and check. If its past the two hot holes, then you need to pull some fluid out until its between the two hot holes.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did the drop 'n' drain and change both filters on mine, it took seven quarts to bring the mark to full-hot.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Get tranny up to operating temperature. This means when you pull the dipstick the fluid should be hotter to touch than you can handle, or atleast hotter than comfort.

Put the truck on level ground and get it in nuetral and put the e-brake on. With the truck Running, Check your fluid. It should be at the top hole. A little bit higher wont hurt, but you want it at the top hash/hole mark. Not too high or the fluid could froth and actually do more harm than good.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM
cdn-pk

Thanks guys, guess i'll take a load of lumber to the cottage and stop periodically and check it until it heats up enough. I was hoping to get her topped up before hauling but, looks like it'll be the fastest way to warm up the fluid.

Happy Easter everyone

Update:

well i drove out to the cottage (approx. 135km) with about 1000lbs in the back, heated up the tranny a bit more but still not enough. it was cold out so i guess the transmission cooler was doing it's job. i'll have to try a bunch of city driving, or perhaps a short trip hauling 1/2 or 1 yard crushed rock.

Last edited by cdn-pk; 04-10-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Update:
Old 07-15-2012, 02:03 PM
dbier63

Thank you sir this is finally the info I've been searching for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Ram 1500 - 545RFE Trans. fluid capacity