3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Axle Tools????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 PM
rosco305999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Axle Tools????

Hello Everybody,

I am gearing up to change the pinion seal in my rear axle. I read through the service manual and it requires a variety of specialty tools to complete. The tools are a position holder (6719), companion flange remover (C-452), and installer (c-3718). All of these tools appear to be for the companion flange, I am curious if anyone has been able to rent these tools from their local auto parts stores or if the have had to buy $200 in specialty tools to replace a $15 pinion seal. Any feedback would be helpful! Also, if there is another way to remove the companion flange without said tools, I have a variety of automotive tools that could work.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 PM
BobK
Rookie

I've never got into a Chrysler diff...I'm used to GM stuff.
GM calls for a diff. spreader to remove the gears.
I've never used one.
Just removed the bearing caps and turned the pinion or drive shaft and the rear gears will walk themselves out of the housing.

Not sure if that will work on dodge.

Maybe worth a try though.

Good luck in your repair.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Originally Posted by rosco305999
Hello Everybody,

I am gearing up to change the pinion seal in my rear axle. I read through the service manual and it requires a variety of specialty tools to complete. The tools are a position holder (6719), companion flange remover (C-452), and installer (c-3718). All of these tools appear to be for the companion flange, I am curious if anyone has been able to rent these tools from their local auto parts stores or if the have had to buy $200 in specialty tools to replace a $15 pinion seal. Any feedback would be helpful! Also, if there is another way to remove the companion flange without said tools, I have a variety of automotive tools that could work.

Thanks,
John
Shouldn't need specialty tools, maybe just a puller and a seal removal tool (you could even use a screwdriver if you don't scratch everything up). You can probably get loaner tools from an auto parts store. You're just doing the seal not the crush flange and all. It's all about marking the nut and counting the exposed threads and turns it takes to get it off. You want to put everything back exactly how it was.

Puller tool for the flange that the driveshaft bolts up to
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...FazCOgod5hMAdg

seal puller
http://toolsandmore.us/tekton-5741-s...FYNx4AodwlcAGw

GMC truck, but you will get the general idea.

To get my seal in I used a piece of pipe that matched the seal, that way you can tap it in uniformly and not lopsided.

Last edited by Dead2Fall; 08-02-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
rosco305999

Thanks guys! I actually received a quality private message with an idea how to remove the companion flange on a Chrysler Diff/shaft. I will leave the name out but here are the directions.

I have done mine in the past with regular tools. Only thing I can say for sure you will require is the correct size socket for the pinion nut. (sorry cant remember)

I put a scribe mark in the pinion nut and pinion shaft by the threads prior to loosening the nut. This will be my reference point when re tightening.
(I used a small thin cut off wheel in a cut off tool.)

I used a bar situated between the two or three of drive shaft bolts reinstalled into the flange to hold the pinion from turning....when loosening and tightening the pinion nut.

Once nut off....carefully pry old seal out and install new seal. I carefully used a hammer and other tools to install without damage.

Install pinion flange with a little grease on the seal surface.

Install washer and tighten pinion nut to scribe marks.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
c.c.w.
Amateur

I'm glad you got it repaired with ease as it is an easy job. I was about to post that this can be done in a cheaper and easier manner but it appears that someone beat me to your PM inbox.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Tools????