3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need HID help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM
thumperk15
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HID help!

I'm looking into the retrofit ones. This is a Morimoto kit, 35watt 6000k, $165. Any info on what kit to get? They vary from $25-200ish. I'm also looking at a kit for my wifes Civic, and a friend said get the D2R for low beam and not the stock 9006. Anyone heard of a Dakota guy doing a bulb swap?! Also, your opinons on HID in stock reflective lens or go projector headlights?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Stay away from the NOTTO SE kit

I got a NOTTO SE kit for a present. The modules work fine the bulbs burn bright, but the point where the bulb illuminates is about 3/16 of an inch further out on the bulb from the base than where the filaments are in the stock Halogen bulbs. (I assume you currently have H13/9008 Halogens)
The complex reflector assembly in the stock headlight needs the illumination point to be at the right location, or the light spreads out and doesn't focus where you want it to.

I have to engineer a mount system that holds the bulbs back 3/16" to make mine work. Until then, they're disconnected, and I'm running halogen bulbs.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM
thumperk15
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what mine are in my Dodge Ram. One bulb for high and low beam.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thumperk15
I'm looking into the retrofit ones. This is a Morimoto kit, 35watt 6000k, $165. Any info on what kit to get? They vary from $25-200ish. I'm also looking at a kit for my wifes Civic, and a friend said get the D2R for low beam and not the stock 9006. Anyone heard of a Dakota guy doing a bulb swap?! Also, your opinons on HID in stock reflective lens or go projector headlights?
2006-2008 Rams have one light. High/low. You need Bi-Xenon Projectors for both Hi/Low function.

HID's in stock housings blind oncoming drivers. I don't care what anyone else says. They do. The glare is something like 10x more. If they say they don't blind, then that means they have them installed in stock housings themselves and are finding reasons to say otherwise.
Guys who do run them turn down the headlights to reduce the glare for others.
HID's in aftermarket projector headlights SUCK. The projectors are cheap and not meant for HID length bulbs, Only Halogen and provide a btter light output when Halogens are installed. They are designed to be used with halogen length bulbs. Projector housings for Halogen bulbs are different in design internally than HID projectors. There is a difference with the lengths of the bulbs

Now, Retro-fitted HID Projectors into your stock housings is the way to go. This is what I did. Those projectors are specifically made for HID length bulbs and will produce the perfect light beam/pattern. It's alot of work and you need to dissassemble and cut your stock housings to do so.

Morimoto mini projectors is what alot of installers use due to their small size and ease of installation. They don't have as wide of a beam pattern, but it's still going to blow the doors off of any other cheap set-up as described above.(halogen housings and cheap headlamps with halogen projectors)
Morimoto bulbs may not last as long as OEM Phillips per say, but it's still a better product than the generic China made kit that is otherwise a "conversion kit". Conversion kits are plug'n'play units with re-based bulbs for use in stock housings.
You should still get ~1,000hrs from a Mori bulb. The bulbs in those P-n-P kits only last an average of 3-500hrs.

If your handy and can retro-fit them yourself, your looking at around $300 for a complete set-up. This is pretty much the same price as buying cheap halogen projectors headlamps.