3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant leak

Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
wingnutks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

So I am pretty sure the driver side of my water pump is leaking. The bottom of the power steering pump has coolant on it and so does the crossmember/steering rack.
The truck just turned 80,500 miles LOL power train warranty was till 80,000. Should I bother taking it to dodge? What are the chances they will honor the warranty? Am I better off just taking off the pump and seeing if a new gasket and some RTV is in order?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

As easy, and cheap as it is I would just replace the pump and see if that fixes you. Looking at $50 or so and a couple hours.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure the water pump is not part of the power train (not internally lubricated). Not sure where you'll find a WP for fifty bucks, though. I see a reman at Rock Auto for $52. Guess that's close enough.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

My apologies, I hadnt looked to see what engine was in his truck. Regardless, if it worth taking the pump off, its worth replacing. Unless you like to do things twice.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM
nateroach
Veteran

I just ran into the same issue. Mine would only leak when the truck got cold, turned out to be a leaky gasket, but decided to replace the whole pump since I had it off, which was a bad choice (more on that later).

How you could do this for $50 i am not sure. new pump would run you ~$60-90 depending on new or reman, the antifreeze (you need HOAT) can only be had in 2 flavors MOPAR @ ~$25 a gallon, or Zerex G05 @ ~$19 a gallon. once you pull that bottom rad hose your loosing most of your coolant. I needed a little over 2 gallons to refill after the pump replacement.

so if you need to replace the pump your looking at a minimum of ~$100 ($60 for the pump + $40 for the coolant + $5 in RTV)

if your issue is just a gasket it's $5 at most auto parts stores, but it will still be $50+ once you get coolant and RTV.

the removal process isn't too bad. have to remove the fan, shroud + overflow/wiper tanks, belt tensioner, idler pulley, and obviously the radiator hoses and heater core hoses. All in it took me about 1.5-2 hours to get everything removed, taking my time and labeling and bagging all of the parts and bolts.

the pitfall that I ran into was the fact that I decided to replace the pump since I had a brand new one in hand and all of the stuff to do it. It was not necessary, but I figured heck, it would be good insurance. The parts that I got was a lifetime NAPA part, since I had to go to NAPA to get the Zerex coolant. the problem is that 6 days after putting it in I noticed a small leak similar to what I had before i replaced it. turns out the freeze plug on the new pump leaks. to make things better it is not the freeze plug on top that is easy to access, it is the plug right behind the belt pulley, and is impossible to access to pull and replace.

long story short, i replaced a slightly leaky water pump with a brand new slightly leaky water pump, and have wasted ~$60 in coolant and RTV to have the same slow leak.

as soon as it warms back up I will be going into NAPA to try and get some free or discounted coolant for the next swap.

best of luck OP

nateroach

Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by nateroach
I just ran into the same issue. Mine would only leak when the truck got cold, turned out to be a leaky gasket, but decided to replace the whole pump since I had it off, which was a bad choice (more on that later).

How you could do this for $50 i am not sure. new pump would run you ~$60-90 depending on new or reman, the antifreeze (you need HOAT) can only be had in 2 flavors MOPAR @ ~$25 a gallon, or Zerex G05 @ ~$19 a gallon. once you pull that bottom rad hose your loosing most of your coolant. I needed a little over 2 gallons to refill after the pump replacement.

so if you need to replace the pump your looking at a minimum of ~$100 ($60 for the pump + $40 for the coolant + $5 in RTV)

if your issue is just a gasket it's $5 at most auto parts stores, but it will still be $50+ once you get coolant and RTV.

the removal process isn't too bad. have to remove the fan, shroud + overflow/wiper tanks, belt tensioner, idler pulley, and obviously the radiator hoses and heater core hoses. All in it took me about 1.5-2 hours to get everything removed, taking my time and labeling and bagging all of the parts and bolts.

the pitfall that I ran into was the fact that I decided to replace the pump since I had a brand new one in hand and all of the stuff to do it. It was not necessary, but I figured heck, it would be good insurance. The parts that I got was a lifetime NAPA part, since I had to go to NAPA to get the Zerex coolant. the problem is that 6 days after putting it in I noticed a small leak similar to what I had before i replaced it. turns out the freeze plug on the new pump leaks. to make things better it is not the freeze plug on top that is easy to access, it is the plug right behind the belt pulley, and is impossible to access to pull and replace.

long story short, i replaced a slightly leaky water pump with a brand new slightly leaky water pump, and have wasted ~$60 in coolant and RTV to have the same slow leak.

as soon as it warms back up I will be going into NAPA to try and get some free or discounted coolant for the next swap.

best of luck OP

nateroach
That is horrible luck!

I wasn't aware that the Hemi's needed a special coolant. Why?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by wingnutks
That is horrible luck!

I wasn't aware that the Hemi's needed a special coolant. Why?
All of the dodge trucks need the HOAT coolant, I think it has something to do with the aluminum engine or something, but it's supposed to protect against internal corrosion.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:40 AM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by Caseys-dodge
All of the dodge trucks need the HOAT coolant, I think it has something to do with the aluminum engine or something, but it's supposed to protect against internal corrosion.
Most cars/trucks have aluminum engines nowadays though.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 AM
03whiteram
Professional

NAPA lifetime warranty...

take it off, save the coolant, and replace the water pump...
sucks, but that's what I would do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant leak