3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing the Drive Pinion Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 PM
BigJohnny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Drive Pinion Seal?

My rear end is leaking from where the driveshaft meets the differential housing, so I bought a new drive pinion seal, and before I go running head first into the job I would like to know if there is are any tricks or anything I should know before tackling it.

Do I need parts other than the drive pinion seal?

How do I pull the drive shaft out to get at the old seal?

Is this going to be a monumental job or should it be fairly easy and straight forward?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Umm think you need to pull the rear end apart to do this. I may be wrong though

Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why? Shouldn't I just be bale to remove the drive shaft, pull the seal and replace it all?

Even the parts list shows the seal as being pulled out from the "front" of the rear end.

Sorry about the different account, a long time ago I asked to have some accounts merged so I didnt have to use facebook to login, but no one ever did it.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Watching some YT videos and it looks pretty straight forward, but what I need to find out is what size the nut is that holds the yolk on.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the drive shaft. You will need and impact to remove the yoke. Use a seal puller to remove the old seal. Lube the new seal with gear oil. Check threads on here not sure the torque for the yoke and drive shaft bolts. Its super easy defintley a DIY item.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Uhm------BEFORE YOU START MOVING ANYTHING, you need to mark the driveshaft to the yoke, the nut location on the pinion shaft. The preload is critical, but the only thing you need to do, is tighten the yoke down EXACTLY to the same position it was in when you removed it, or you get a new crush washer, and an expensive inch pound torque wrench and tighten it to the specs in the service manual. Its a simple job, but it has to be done right, or it will fail.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Uhm------BEFORE YOU START MOVING ANYTHING, you need to mark the driveshaft to the yoke, the nut location on the pinion shaft. The preload is critical, but the only thing you need to do, is tighten the yoke down EXACTLY to the same position it was in when you removed it, or you get a new crush washer, and an expensive inch pound torque wrench and tighten it to the specs in the service manual. Its a simple job, but it has to be done right, or it will fail.
That's why I try to find some videos first, or I would have pulled that thing without marks.

I think I'll try and tackel this today if it doesn't rain.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

got'er done. It wasn't too bad, and I feel confident that I didn't over tighten the main nut.

No more leaking finally..... my parking spot has a huge oil stain from diff. oil now though.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Great!

Quick Reply: Replacing the Drive Pinion Seal?