3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 5.7L Megacab engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 PM
alpiniste
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 5.7L Megacab engine noise

I have read a lot about the hemi tick, and i do believe that is not my issue. While i do hear the ticking coming from underneath the truck when it is idling, I have another issue.

Under load (accelerating above ~2k rpm, in any gear) it begins to sound like it is pinging. it's quite rapid, which leads me to believe that it is coming from the top end. it is especially noticeable when I am driving next to a building. I can keep in a lower gear and keep the rpm at 2.5k, with light to no throttle the noise isnt there, but if i start to accelerate heavier the sound appears.

when i bought the truck the exhaust manifold bolts were broken, so i replaced them and installed new gaskets. However, i screwed up and installed the left side on the right and right side gasket on the left. So could this be my issue, maybe it has something to do with my egr opening/closing and leaking past the gasket, or just leaking?

technically there should be no difference if the egr is open or closed, part of the exhaust is always going up to egr and if it leaks at the manifold it would always leak....

I'm simply out of wits on this one

Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

pinging maybe due to wrong octane fuel. You should run 89. You may want to fix the exhaust manifolds gaskets. Its possiable they are still leaking.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you didn't torque the nuts in the correct order & at the correct torque rating then your exhaust manifold gasket might still be leaking.

Remember to only work on those with the engine COLD, unless you want to deal with pulling studs out or screwing threads on them up.

If you used those crappy Waffle looking gaskets then I'd say def. replace them with OEM Gaskets, you'll be better off.

Just my thoughts, hard to tell what the problem is without seeing it all first hand.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM
alpiniste
Rookie

Could you tell me what the proper sequence and torque value is please?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will have to consult the factory service manual.

You can download it by looking for a user by the name of "weedahoe" on here.

His signature has links to the service manuals.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM
alpiniste
Rookie

Thank you very much for the info!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 AM
alpiniste
Rookie

changed the exhaust manifold gaskets today. it sounds much better, the idle tick is gone. I could actually see where the leak was.

The noise is still there, like a bad squeaky bearing, metallic sound under load.

Quick Reply: 2006 5.7L Megacab engine noise