3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 5.7L Megacab - trailer-like stop and go shudder

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM
alpiniste
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 5.7L Megacab - trailer-like stop and go shudder

Another issue I am having is when I come to a stop, sometimes it feels like i have a trailer which is still moving and bumps the truck. when i take off, it does the same thing, as if the engagement is delayed, or there is a LOT of slack somewhere in the drive line. I can take off really easy, and start moving, but as soon as i give it some gas, bump, there it is.

This does not always happen. The weird part is that I have never noticed the slack when I actually have a trailer hooked up.

The rpm is at 500, usually, when this happens. Could that be too low and cause the trans pump not keep up? I just replaced the atf and internal filters, but have yet to change the cooler filter.

Also, now i started noticing when i take off, sometimes i get 3-4 bumps from the rear end, as if going over slippery stripes (no actual slippery stripes present).

Last edited by alpiniste; 05-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Rear brakes hanging up? If you have a LSD rear diff, clutch packs may be sticking. Change fluid.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you might have some rear differential problems... You might have shattered one of the Clutch Retaining Clips in there. Only way to know for sure is to either pop the drain plug off and see if there is metal shavings in there or to pop the cover off and take a good look around.

Otherwise you might have some problems with the output shaft/bearing... hard to say without actually getting under there and trying to wiggle the driveshaft around (with the truck off), you will be looking for forward and backward play (towards the front and back of the truck)...

Is your truck 4wd or 2wd?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 AM
hemi4109
Veteran

Don't think the 3/4 based trucks have retainer clips.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by hemi4109
Don't think the 3/4 based trucks have retainer clips.

Thought all of the LSDs had them, no?

All the drawings I see show them in there, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM
alpiniste
Rookie

4 wheel drive, no drive shaft movement front to back.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Izero
Champion

Then I'm gonna lean towards the rear diff for now.

What happens if you try to drive slowly in a circle with the steering wheel all the way locked?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
alpiniste
Rookie

Rolls smooth, only my front end squawking because of a joint being worn out.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Izero
Champion

then the only real way to figure it out is to start opening stuff up and inspecting it...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alpiniste
Another issue I am having is when I come to a stop, sometimes it feels like i have a trailer which is still moving and bumps the truck. when i take off, it does the same thing, as if the engagement is delayed, or there is a LOT of slack somewhere in the drive line. I can take off really easy, and start moving, but as soon as i give it some gas, bump, there it is.

This does not always happen. The weird part is that I have never noticed the slack when I actually have a trailer hooked up.

The rpm is at 500, usually, when this happens. Could that be too low and cause the trans pump not keep up? I just replaced the atf and internal filters, but have yet to change the cooler filter.

Also, now i started noticing when i take off, sometimes i get 3-4 bumps from the rear end, as if going over slippery stripes (no actual slippery stripes present).
Alpiniste,

Do you notice this happening when you are at about 3/4 of a tank of gas? Do you think it might be related to the fuel tank?

Keep us posted and if you have any questions or want to PM your vin# to check out if there are any recalls, don't be afraid to ask.

Quick Reply: 2006 5.7L Megacab - trailer-like stop and go shudder