3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C only gets a little cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:13 PM
stayplation3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C only gets a little cold

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8
A/C gets cold, but only a little cold. Recharged the ac to full level and it didn't make even a tiny bit difference, same exact temp blowing out. (The coolant stuff wasn't very low when i recharged it, so I just made it full) so it should have been blowing ice cold already before i recharged it. What could be the problem? How much $ could i be looking at taking it to a shop? Also just to mention, the can on the freon said when the ambient temp is 100f, the psi on the gauge should read 50-55 when full. now before i recharged it the psi was at 45, now the weird thing was, once i used about half of my 22oz can it reached 53 psi and it would not go over 53 psi. I continued to use the rest of the can and it would go up to 54 psi then drop to 53 psi after a few seconds. i emptied the can and it now sits at 53 psi. would that indicate a problem since it would not go over? or is that a safety system in place making sure i dont go over the max psi?

Last edited by stayplation3; 06-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe your evaporator is clogged restricting flow? Turn your A/C on Max, wait 10min and see how much if any water drips on the underside. If no drip or very little, then it's clogged and needs to be cleaned.

Last edited by dirtydog; 06-29-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have over-filled it. What are the condenser fan and compressor doing?

Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's possible your blend door is stopping before full cold and some heat is mixing with it. Would need to see the evaporator temp sensor reading. They can see it on a scan tool.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:47 PM
stayplation3

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Maybe your evaporator is clogged restricting flow? Turn your A/C on Max, wait 10min and see how much if any water drips on the underside. If no drip or very little, then it's clogged and needs to be cleaned.
it barely drips

Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
spuldup
Rookie

Sounds like you have plenty of charge in there - don't add anymore. Since you are getting little latent heat removal (barely dripping), I would second cleaning the evaporator coil. I have not done it but it looks like a full day job taking apart the pass. side dash, according to the manual. If that does not work, have the system checked out by a qualified automotive HVAC tech.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:22 AM
jwleonard
Rookie

I'm not sure where you are from but if there is low humidity then you won't get much dripping since it comes from the air when condensation occurs.

The refrigerant pressure can only go as high as the pressure in the can so that may be the limiting factor for the pressure of your system. The factory service manual shows a normal system pressure of 35-45 psi at 100 degrees, so per factory spec yours was good to begin with.

I haven't done this but is what I would try in your situation. Try to find an place to open the ducting as close to immediately after the evaporator and check the output temp after it has been running for a while. Then you can tell if it is producing cold air (i.e. removing heat) properly. If it doesn't then you know where to look; the AC side such as evaporator, compressor clutch etc. If it does get cold there then you will need to check the mixing & distribution section of the system as you may have warm air being mixed in (i.e. blend door). If you can't find a good opening to use you could drill a very small hole that you could fill with RTV or such after. If drilling a hole doesn't sound like a good idea you could check the blend door positions first or just take it to a shop that has the test equipment needed to properly troubleshoot the system.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: A/C only gets a little cold