3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 RAM 1500, just bought it, loud bang after switching from 4WD to 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:07 AM
fostervs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 RAM 1500, just bought it, loud bang after switching from 4WD to 2WD

I just bought this truck from a local Dodge dealer a week ago, 2007 5.7l Hemi, 4x4. 55,000 km on the odometer.

I thought I got a great deal, I should have checked it out a little more than I did. The vehicle seems to be in great shape, I did have the right rear Goodyear Wrangler tire blow a sidewall out, so I have to replace that.

However - I decided to try putting it in 4WD, something I should have done when I test drove it. I stopped, put it in Park, and turned the **** to 4WD high. Put it in drive and drove away. I noticed it seemed to be making a lot of whining in 4WD, so pulled over, put it back in Park, and switched back to 2WD. Drove away - still making whining noise like it was in 4WD. All of a sudden, very loud BANG, whining gone and seems fine in 2WD.

What the hell - did I just buy a lemon? Dealer did give me a 30 day limited warranty, so will be going in there tomorrow.

Last edited by fostervs; 07-25-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First, you don't have to stop to put it into 4hi, and if you do, it should be in nueteral. But you don't so don't worry. You can safely shift at 50 Mph. As far as the clunk that is somewhat normal, and also normal to have that delay. I say somewhat because my 2000 did that sporadically. Sometimes it would take 20-30 seconds to disengage with a klunk. I was told by many people, including a transmission shop, that it was normal. However, my 06 has never done it, that's why I said somewhat normal! I'm sure you will hear from others on this topic.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
rdculus
Veteran

If all your tires don't have exactly the same amount of wear it will cause your transfer case to clunk when you engage/disengage 4 wheel drive. the tread wear on your tires can be so minimal it is impossible to tell by eye if there is any difference, but un even wear will cause whining noise while in 4x4. Unless you have 4 brand new tires I would suspect that is your issue.
As 66three83 said 4 wheel drive can be engaged and disengaged at any speed, no need to stop or use neutral unless you are selecting 4-low

Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdculus
If all your tires don't have exactly the same amount of wear it will cause your transfer case to clunk when you engage/disengage 4 wheel drive. the tread wear on your tires can be so minimal it is impossible to tell by eye if there is any difference, but un even wear will cause whining noise while in 4x4. Unless you have 4 brand new tires I would suspect that is your issue.
As 66three83 said 4 wheel drive can be engaged and disengaged at any speed, no need to stop or use neutral unless you are selecting 4-low

This is likely the cause.... also if it was shifted on dry pavement plus uneven tire wear (or on a spare) you would definitely see something like this happen.

The whining you are experiencing is pretty normal but if you want to quiet it down a bit, changing the transmission (incl transfer case) and rear diff fluid wouldn't be a bad idea. (consult your owners manual for fluid type)

If you have the dial on the dash then you can actually shift on-the-fly into and out of 4-Hi (aka 4-Lock) but you will have to put the truck in neutral to shift into 4-Low.

If you have a lever then you will have to stop and shift into neutral in order to shift in and out of anything.

Again for the full procedure!!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 AM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
This is likely the cause.... also if it was shifted on dry pavement plus uneven tire wear (or on a spare) you would definitely see something like this happen.

The whining you are experiencing is pretty normal but if you want to quiet it down a bit, changing the transmission (incl transfer case) and rear diff fluid wouldn't be a bad idea. (consult your owners manual for fluid type)

If you have the dial on the dash then you can actually shift on-the-fly into and out of 4-Hi (aka 4-Lock) but you will have to put the truck in neutral to shift into 4-Low.

If you have a lever then you will have to stop and shift into neutral in order to shift in and out of anything.

Again for the full procedure!!
Do you really have to stop with the manual shift? Any (modern) manual shift I've owned has been a shift-on-the-fly transfer case, my dakota didnt even have an axle disconnect...give the stick a pull and she's in 4x4, worked really well in the winter.

You can put your truck in 4x4 just fine on pavement, so long as you drive straight. It should shift in and out without making loud bangs, unless you've bound it up, or your trying to put it in lo while moving.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You do not have to stop with a manual shift. You can go in and out of 2 or 4 hi at highway speed. 4 lo is the only selection that has to be made at speeds of 5mph or below. Preferably stopped in neutral. It has been that way on every 4wd Dodge that I've had since my 80 Ramcharger. Again Izero, check your RTFM for the full procedure!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by 66three83
You do not have to stop with a manual shift. You can go in and out of 2 or 4 hi at highway speed. 4 lo is the only selection that has to be made at speeds of 5mph or below. Preferably stopped in neutral. It has been that way on every 4wd Dodge that I've had since my 80 Ramcharger. Again Izero, check your RTFM for the full procedure!!!
Manual Transfer Case:

2H or 4H ⇔ 4L
With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift
an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the
clutch on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is
coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer
case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause in
transfer case N (Neutral).
Electronic Transfer Case: (5-position Switch)

2WD ⇔ 4 AUTO or 4 HI
Rotate the 4WD Control Switch to the desired position.
Shifts between 2WD and 4WDAUTO and 4WD HI can be
done with the vehicle stopped or in motion. With the
vehicle in motion, the transfer case will engage / disengage
faster if you momentarily release the accelerator
pedal after turning the control switch. If the vehicle is stopped, the ignition key must be in the ON position with
the engine either RUNNING or OFF. This shift cannot be
completed if the key is in the accessory position.

2WD or 4 AUTO or 4 HI ⇔ 4 LO

NOTE: When shifting into or out of 4WD LO some gear
noise may be heard. This noise is normal and is not
detrimental to the vehicle or occupants.
Shifting can be performed with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3
mph (3 to 5 km/h) or completely stopped. USE EITHER
OF THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES:
Preferred Procedure
1. With engine RUNNING, slow vehicle to 2 to 3 mph (3
to 5 km/h).
2. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL (depress clutch
on manual transmissions).
3. While still rolling, rotate the transfer case control
switch to the desired position.
4. After the desired position indicator light is ON (not
flashing), shift transmission back into gear (release clutch
Alternate Procedure
1. Bring the vehicle to complete stop.
2. With the key ON and the engine either OFF or
RUNNING, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL (depress
clutch on manual transmissions).
3. Rotate the transfer case control switch to the desired
position.
Electronic Transfer Case: (4-Position Switch)

2WD ⇔ 4 AUTO or 4 HI
Rotate the 4WD Control Switch to the desired position.
Shifts between 2WD and 4WDAUTO and 4WD HI can be
done with the vehicle stopped or in motion. With the
pedal after turning the control switch. If the vehicle is stopped, the ignition key must be in the ON position with
the engine either RUNNING or OFF. This shift cannot be
completed if the key is in the accessory position.

2WD or 4 AUTO or 4 HI ⇔ 4 LO
NOTE: When shifting into or out of 4WD LO some gear
noise may be heard. This noise is normal and is not
detrimental to the vehicle or occupants.
Shifting can be performed with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3
mph (3 to 5 km/h) or completely stopped. USE EITHER
OF THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES:
Preferred Procedure
1. With engine RUNNING, slow vehicle to 2 to 3 mph (3
to 5 km/h).
2. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL (depress clutch
3. While still rolling, rotate the transfer case control
switch to the desired position.

Alternate Procedure
1. Bring the vehicle to complete stop.
2. With the key ON and the engine either OFF or
RUNNING, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL (depress
clutch on manual transmissions).
3. Rotate the transfer case control switch to the desired
position.
So yes you CAN shift while stopped or while moving. I have read my manual, and have never had any issues shifting into or out of 4wd. Personally I prefer to shift when stopped on a manual transfer case, and electronic doesn't matter b/c it lines up everything for you.

With many manual transfer cases I've had you've had to stop put it in neutral and then shift into 4wd. (sometime it took one or two tries) and that was mainly b/c I didn't like the grinding sound I would get if I tried it while moving.

The manual has all of the answers on how to shift into 4wd.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fostervs
I just bought this truck from a local Dodge dealer a week ago, 2007 5.7l Hemi, 4x4. 55,000 km on the odometer.

I thought I got a great deal, I should have checked it out a little more than I did. The vehicle seems to be in great shape, I did have the right rear Goodyear Wrangler tire blow a sidewall out, so I have to replace that.

However - I decided to try putting it in 4WD, something I should have done when I test drove it. I stopped, put it in Park, and turned the **** to 4WD high. Put it in drive and drove away. I noticed it seemed to be making a lot of whining in 4WD, so pulled over, put it back in Park, and switched back to 2WD. Drove away - still making whining noise like it was in 4WD. All of a sudden, very loud BANG, whining gone and seems fine in 2WD.

What the hell - did I just buy a lemon? Dealer did give me a 30 day limited warranty, so will be going in there tomorrow.
Fostervs,

There isn't too much I can add that Izero hasn't mentioned from the Owner's Manual, expect that the information starts on page 318. There is a lot of information provided in the manual regarding shifting recommendations and requirements.

If your vehicle did not come equipped with an Owner's Manual you can download a PDF version at:
http://www.chryslercanada.ca/owners/...hp?brand=dodge

I hope this helps and keep us posted on the diagnosis from the dealer. If you have any questions or are seeking additional assistance please feel free to PM me.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

unsure if 1500 ram 4wd use front u joints ( as per my 2500 hemi ram, front solid axle)

Check your c v joints (boots) on the front axles for tears and the rear u joint on the drive shaft for play.

Transfer case fluid level should also be checked.

I never shift into 4wd in park, all ways on the fly or stopped and in N before shifting into 4wd, in park your locking down the transmisson and than asking the transfer case and transmisson to engage.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 AM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
So yes you CAN shift while stopped or while moving. I have read my manual, and have never had any issues shifting into or out of 4wd. Personally I prefer to shift when stopped on a manual transfer case, and electronic doesn't matter b/c it lines up everything for you.

With many manual transfer cases I've had you've had to stop put it in neutral and then shift into 4wd. (sometime it took one or two tries) and that was mainly b/c I didn't like the grinding sound I would get if I tried it while moving.

The manual has all of the answers on how to shift into 4wd.
You're missing the part from 2H to 4H...you only outline 2H or 4H to 4L...here's what my 06 manual says:
MANUAL:
2H ⇔ 4H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the
vehicle stopped or in motion. If the vehicle is in motion,
shifts can be made up to 55 mph (88 km/h). With the
pedal after completing the shift. Apply a constant force
when shifting the transfer case lever.

Also, as far as I know there are no additional syncros in an electronic transfer case...the only difference is that there is an electric motor pulling the lever vs you pulling it, so it doesn't really line anything up for you.

Last edited by dakotatrevor; 07-29-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 RAM 1500, just bought it, loud bang after switching from 4WD to 2WD