3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L "copper core" spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:00 PM
mleeser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L "copper core" spark plugs?

I have an '03 ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine. I noticed this in the service manual.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION: The 4.7L V–8 engine is equipped with
copper core ground electrode spark plugs. They
must be replaced with the same type/number spark
plug as the original. If another spark plug is substituted,
pre-ignition will result.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to buy a set. What are you guys using for plugs? Does anyone know what they install at the factory? I guess I could go pull one and look at it but that would be too easy...

Old 10-03-2005, 06:51 PM
mleeser
Default RE: 4.7L "copper core" spark plugs?

I found the factory plugs listed in the engine compartment. Champion RC12MCC4. Still curious to know what others are using.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:14 AM
mill500
Veteran

Do a search on here....I did awhile back and everybody's all over the road on what they like, but it seems to be a consensus that nobody thinks they multi-tips are worth the money.

I'm ready for my 30k maint (Hemi) and will probably just stay with the Champs. From what I've seen, the Platinums will last longer than the copper. The 04 doesn't have that disclaimer that I've found that specify copper. The way I look at it, it doesn't run bad on the stock plugs.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:31 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Copper does erode faster than some of the precious metal tipped and cored plugs. Like you said the truck runs fine on the copper ones. In the end, I guess I will stick with the stock plug, because once you add up the cost of 8 or 16 in my case, it gets expensive fast. That is before all of the other recommended maintenance at 30K miles.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 AM
DonG
Veteran

I always run champions in my 4.7 dakota and just put replaced them in the 4.7 in my jeep. The only problem with them is that they only last about 25K. If you haven't changed them in that many miles you will see the gap is about twice what it should be and notice a performance improvement.

Quick Reply: 4.7L "copper core" spark plugs?