3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise Control Won't Stay On?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control Won't Stay On?

This is for my dads 2004 5.7L 4x4 SLT.

I noticed this problem when I borrowed his truck last week to go to Toronto, but first I feel I should mention, his truck is in amazing shape, and runs almost like new.

When I first noticed this, we had been travelling with cruise control on for a good 45 mins at least, then suddenly cruise control switches off, and would not reactivate.

after I shut the truck off when we were grabbing food, cruise would activate again for about 5 mins until we actually took off.

At this point if you turn cruise on, it will shut off just after driving away and won't reactivate until you turn the truck off and back on again.

I think I hear a click when it shuts off but I can't be certain because the seat makes a similar noise (something loose perhaps).

So, given those symptoms, has anyone experienced this or know what would cause this problem?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

I believe it is driven by the tone ring in the front left hub. Check the connection/wire condition

Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

what is a tone ring?? I just looked through a service manual and I still can't figure out what it is, or where it is.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Its located inside the bearing hub and creates a pulse as the windows pass the face of the sensor---more pulses, faster vehicle speed, but in this case, its used for the cruise control.
There are other tone rings in the vehicle. You might do better googling it

Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was doing the exact samething. It was the brake light switch behind the brake pedal. I replaced it and no problems since. That was 2 years ago

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Won't Stay On?