3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U Joints with Half Moon CLips!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Bison9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Joints with Half Moon CLips!!

Hello Everybody! Today I am researching U Joint removal and installation. This will be for my 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins. So! I am well aware as to how to push out these U Joints on the E looking clip ones where the U Joint caps are recessed somewhat. Now! Nobody on the web as far as I can tell has actually covered the ones with the half moon clips which is what my Dodge has. The problem I see is that the U Joint caps on these ones are NOT recessed and actually sit a little outside the housing they sit in...... I will have my Ball Joint Press kit because I also am doing the ball joints.
So, my question is pretty simple. When I first start to press on this type of a U Joint (we're talking the first part after the Half Moon clips are removed) it is looking like these caps are sitting on the outside of the axle housing they sit in... You see my question here... Can I just start pressing on the one cap to get the cap on the other side to move?? I can see how it would work when the first cap is off, but I am wondering about the very first step here I guess when both the caps are on. I want to use a press the whole way and steer clear of a hammer at all costs. I am just really struggling here to visualize this with the U Joints with the half moon clips. Does the cap on the one side just slide through as the other one is coming out on this style of U Joint?
The half moon clip style U Joints look different to me than the E clip looking ones and I just am unsure as to how to start pressing on this style of U joint... HELP!
Thanks in advance!

Old 09-27-2013, 02:01 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

You got it. Once you get the first half moon clip out the second one is easy. They press out like the e-clip ones. Presion make nice joints, greaseable e-clip design

Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Bison9
Rookie

Thanks much for the reply!

Quick Reply: U Joints with Half Moon CLips!!