3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

want to upgrade pistons, heads, anything else needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:18 AM
tronic
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to upgrade pistons, heads, anything else needed

hey how's it going guys, i've been registered on here for a while i like reading the posts really help out a lot of you guys are really knowledgable, anyway i hope maybe someone could help me out, with some info...when i purchased my 2005 ram 1500 a couple of months later i had the "tick" but it was a little more than that, i was told from a couple of shops that maybe the rods were bent, now i'm not a complete idiot when it comes to cars/trucks, but the inner workings of an internal combustion engine, kind of baffles me sometimes...ok well i found a place in Michigan that would rebuild the engine for me and they would setup pickup/and delivery (i'm in jersey) all the other shops would only do it if i pulled the engine brought it there and and popped it back in, so i did it, it came back, ran perfect no noise whatsoever, i asked as many questions as i could about what they were doing to fix it, they said they were going to bore out the block put new bigger pistons in new rods, and everything else that is needed to rebuild the engine. Now i was talking to a couple people and they said that they could have used some "crappy" brand piston/rods and everything in between, could "cheap" parts make the truck perform not as well, then before, even with bigger pistons and stuff, if so i was wondering what i could buy to get some bad *** pistons or rods to put in the newly bored engine, it has less than 15000 miles on the rebuild, (oh and buy the way, i called the shop, its like pulling teeth, to get info, and i don't even know if they know what they did, they did something and an engine works now) thats what i think is happening over there, so now after that long winded post/question what do you guys think?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:02 AM
TRO14
Banned

Originally Posted by tronic
hey how's it going guys, i've been registered on here for a while i like reading the posts really help out a lot of you guys are really knowledgable, anyway i hope maybe someone could help me out, with some info...when i purchased my 2005 ram 1500 a couple of months later i had the "tick" but it was a little more than that, i was told from a couple of shops that maybe the rods were bent, now i'm not a complete idiot when it comes to cars/trucks, but the inner workings of an internal combustion engine, kind of baffles me sometimes...ok well i found a place in Michigan that would rebuild the engine for me and they would setup pickup/and delivery (i'm in jersey) all the other shops would only do it if i pulled the engine brought it there and and popped it back in, so i did it, it came back, ran perfect no noise whatsoever, i asked as many questions as i could about what they were doing to fix it, they said they were going to bore out the block put new bigger pistons in new rods, and everything else that is needed to rebuild the engine. Now i was talking to a couple people and they said that they could have used some "crappy" brand piston/rods and everything in between, could "cheap" parts make the truck perform not as well, then before, even with bigger pistons and stuff, if so i was wondering what i could buy to get some bad *** pistons or rods to put in the newly bored engine, it has less than 15000 miles on the rebuild, (oh and buy the way, i called the shop, its like pulling teeth, to get info, and i don't even know if they know what they did, they did something and an engine works now) thats what i think is happening over there, so now after that long winded post/question what do you guys think?
Before you go tearing it apart I would find out exactly what they did and what parts they used.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my theory is. and I've built many, many engines is...if it ain't broke don't fix it. if it runs fine and your not having any problems after that many miles you'll be fine

Old 10-12-2013, 01:40 PM
tronic
Amateur

cool thanks a lot you guys are right, don't mess with it, and if i do, find out what they did, thanks

Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM
rought
Professional

I have had the tick for 180,000 and the engine has been great. Doesn’t even burn oil. I wouldn’t worry about the tick if you can live with it..

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has 183K miles on the original engine, has had the tick since day1

nuff said!

It has always been my thinking that it is better to start with a used "no known issues" long block, pull it apart, rebuild to new specs with the appropriate mods, then drop it in. Now you definitely know what you're working with, and you can sell the old engine for whatever works to offset the cost of the rebuild.

Just my '02 for what its worth

Quick Reply: want to upgrade pistons, heads, anything else needed