3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can you go from Rear-wheel ABS only to All-wheel ABS?

Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Kris Heiselberg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you go from Rear-wheel ABS only to All-wheel ABS?

I've been trying to find any info on this, but so far no luck. Got an 04 QC Hemi with the SLT package. Bought the truck from the US and got it exported here to Greenland, so I never got to check out the truck before buying it.
But I found out that the ST and SLT only have ABS brakes on the rear wheels, but the Laramie edition has the "Normal" full package with ABS brakes on all 4 wheels. Can't see why Dodge would even degrade the ABS function on the different equipment packages.
But, what I would like to know is if it's possible to retrofit ABS brakes to my truck on All 4 wheels?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:47 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cannot get the front wheels to lock up on pavement so you don't need ABS, the brakes are terrible on these trucks.
You can lock the front wheels up at stop signs during the winter but this can be solved by having good winter tires up front. I only run winter tires on the rear so I usually find it easy to speed up but hard to stop.
Steve

Old 10-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Kris Heiselberg
Amateur

Yeah forgot to mention, the reason why I'm asking is because our winter here last about 6 months. So we drive alot on snowy and icy roads. Just got a set of studded snow tires for the 20's, that I got because I found out that the truck doesn't have ABS brakes on the front. I just don't want to be in a situation where the truck starts skidding due to not having ABS brakes on the front, this is after all a big and very heavy truck and I imaging the truck will be hard to recover, as soon as it's started skidding. So I'm just asking if the ABS brakes can be retrofitted on the front?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 AM
abarmby
Champion

firstly you'd have to buy front hubs with the ABS sensors.
Then see if there's any electrical pigtails for them to plug into.
Sometimes electrical harnesses are already in place, ready to retrofit ancillaries or extras.
It'd cost Dodge a lot extra to miss things out on initial manufacture of the wiring harness, so they leave them in.
I don't know if the ABS module is different as well. It might very well need to be upgraded to take into account the extra front hub sensor inputs.
Then there's probably the obligatory re-flashing of your on board computer, which seems to be necessary for most upgrades to these Dodges.
so, all in all, quite a list.
I'd start with an inquiry to the dealership firstly, to see if this is all doable in the first place.
If it is, get them to supply a parts list and breakdown of prices etc so you then know what to try and buy cheap on ebay saving on dealership prices etc
Fit it all yourself and then go back for a flash if necessary.
Hope this helps?
Al

Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

You also need the abs module for the front master cylinder-------look around and see if there is a donor truck at a local pick and pull or wrecking yard around you------

Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 08 only has rear wheel ABS as well. No real problems driving on snow and ice though and I have a 2wd.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Kris Heiselberg
Amateur

Wow, yes that's quite a list. I was optimistic all through the list with the parts and all, untill I got to the part where I would need to get the computer reflashed at a dealership.
The problem is, there are no Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealerships here in my city Nuuk. Actually the entire country. So even if I bought all of the parts and did all of the work getting the parts installed, I wouldn't be able to use the abs brakes in the front, since there are no dealerships in the country where I can get the truck's computer reflashed.

Well thanks for taking the time to give me advice anyways.

Originally Posted by abarmby
firstly you'd have to buy front hubs with the ABS sensors.
Then see if there's any electrical pigtails for them to plug into.
Sometimes electrical harnesses are already in place, ready to retrofit ancillaries or extras.
It'd cost Dodge a lot extra to miss things out on initial manufacture of the wiring harness, so they leave them in.
I don't know if the ABS module is different as well. It might very well need to be upgraded to take into account the extra front hub sensor inputs.
Then there's probably the obligatory re-flashing of your on board computer, which seems to be necessary for most upgrades to these Dodges.
so, all in all, quite a list.
I'd start with an inquiry to the dealership firstly, to see if this is all doable in the first place.
If it is, get them to supply a parts list and breakdown of prices etc so you then know what to try and buy cheap on ebay saving on dealership prices etc
Fit it all yourself and then go back for a flash if necessary.
Hope this helps?
Al

Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Its ALWAYS better to do the research ahead of time than dropping the dime only to find out you can't finish it.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:03 PM
abarmby
Champion

Kris.....I'm assuming a flash is needed.
It is for most things with these trucks.
But call a US dealership or ask someone on the board here, who's also in the US (I'm in the UK) to call and ask.
It might very well be just a hardware thing to bolt the pieces together etc??
As Gone Fishin said....research.....research......research.
Al.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you go from Rear-wheel ABS only to All-wheel ABS?