3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
FlexJohnson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump

Was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket/high performance power steering pump for an 04 QC 5.7l???

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

no such thing

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FlexJ, Did you ever find a solid PS pump?

Today, I find my 2500 '04 5.7 PS pump shaft leaking. Weed, anyone here, can you give me a direction as for the best to replace the OEM or is it best to stay with a new OEM or re-furbished and wish for the best? Does the PS leak-stop additives work? Brand?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't use the stop leak crap. I personally have not had the need but know others who went with aftermarket PS pumps and have not had any issues. The fluid is ATF4 and not conventional PS fluid.

As for the original post/question, what would someone need a high performance PS pump for? Mine turns the wheels with a slight twist of the wheel as it is now!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Buggsy
Professional

I hate to be that guy that used stop leak, but I did and it worked. This was on my sister's car. She was dirt poor and in the middle of a busy semester at college. She was going through about a quart of fluid every 500 miles. I bought a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, and it just freaking worked. I'm amazed, but it's a year later and still fine.

I wouldn't put stop leak in anything else, but her leak was up high on the pump, not on the rack or shafts. I knew if this didn't work, I could flush it out. But I've been very pleased with it so far.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

do NOT flush a PS pump with solvent or other thin fulids, under power. ONLY use power steering fulid. solvent doesnt have enough oil to lube the pump. the pump WILL lock up

Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weed, Moe, thanks for your response, good stuff. I'm replacing the PS pump on the '04 2500 5.7 with a refurbish from O'Rillies. Investigating the leak to be seal failure due to dryness. I will flush the the rack with ATF4 after changing it last month, with that Prestone general-purpose stuff, should have read the DC oem manual first, in bold letters, ATF+4.

Saw a U-tube vid about the subject of PS flushing and this one poster added a PS inLine can filter. Is anyone doing this and suggested p/n? When I refreshed the Hemi PS fluid, I also refreshed the PS fluid in the Grand Cherokee LTD 5.2, there was all this collect crud in the bottom of its reservoir. It took 5 reservoir refills, cycling 28 miles worth per each. The point is, it could/should have used a filter of some sort 30k back.

Any ideas most welcome. The return line ID is, guessing, approx 1/2" N2 the reservoir.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump