DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   03 2500 v10 won't wake up!! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/366698-03-2500-v10-wont-wake-up.html)

johnnyrocket5363 12-27-2013 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 66three83 (Post 3114330)
I don't think any of us were thinking you were going with the V-10 because of a rarity issue. The truck isn't a collectors item, and never will be. It's not a SRT/10. It's just a workhorse V-10. If you want to go through the headaches of finding obsolete parts just because only 1% of Dodge trucks came with the 10, then go for it. But don't think you will ever get the money back on the mint you are going to spend rebuilding it!! And, don't forget, you don't know what other accessories are going to need to be replaced along with the engine build!!!! Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the updates from you, and can't wait to hear when you get it fired up!! Just don't get upside down!!

No, I think you have the wrong idea. I wanted a 3rd gen Quad cab, and I needed more power. I don't ever mean to resale this truck. I just think it's kinda cool for it to be what it is, and I like it. It's not a collectors item, it will never be glamorous. It's just unique! Why ruin that?

BTW, I just ordered the remanufactured crankshaft. It should be here in about a week.

johnnyrocket5363 12-28-2013 10:14 PM

What do you think happened to my piston? Some say that it was run too hot. Some say detonation. Detonation seems more plausible to me. The detonation group says the truck was knocking for a while, blew a hole in the piston, and siphoned the oil out of the crankcase, running it dry, hence the seized bearings. They then threw oil in it and sold it hotter than a $2 pistol. BTW, the head gaskets seemed normal to me....

Izero 12-30-2013 08:54 AM

It's your money man, we're not going to hold you down and force you to change your mind, we're just laying out that things are much harder to find, and harder to find means more expensive... There's a reason that V10 was only put in 1% of Ram's.... It's a horrible engine, and with 2 extra cylinders it barely made more HP & TQ than the V8-Hemi....

Personally I would have parted the truck out and bought myself a diesel with the OEM Plow option...

Either way, I'm sure you damn near "stole" the truck as far as price is concerned, so whatever you do will leave you with a truck that you might be able to sell for a small profit... but any informed buyer will likely stay far away from a V10....

johnnyrocket5363 01-01-2014 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Izero (Post 3115513)
It's your money man, we're not going to hold you down and force you to change your mind, we're just laying out that things are much harder to find, and harder to find means more expensive... There's a reason that V10 was only put in 1% of Ram's.... It's a horrible engine, and with 2 extra cylinders it barely made more HP & TQ than the V8-Hemi....

Personally I would have parted the truck out and bought myself a diesel with the OEM Plow option...

Either way, I'm sure you damn near "stole" the truck as far as price is concerned, so whatever you do will leave you with a truck that you might be able to sell for a small profit... but any informed buyer will likely stay far away from a V10....

LOL, but if you don't see the coolness of owning one of the last dinosaur, pure Cubic-Displacement powered engines, I can't explain it to you. I'm not gonna sell this truck. I don't care. I've looked for this thing forever, finally found one, and I don't care if I have to buy ANOTHER engine because this one's so devastated, it's gonna see asphalt again.

BTW, currently it's going out of state to the best shop in the region to get line bored to fix the spun bearings. It should be back to the local machine shop by the end of the week......

clipper77 01-01-2014 09:02 PM

V10's are sweet!

3rd gen v10's are rare, rare, rare...I saw one...once...

Auto or manual?

I really hope this works out for you.

johnnyrocket5363 01-01-2014 09:58 PM

Auto, but thinking of a 6-speed when this transmission croaks...

johnnyrocket5363 01-01-2014 11:16 PM

Clipper, do you have audio of your exhaust? I could use some inspiration.....

clipper77 01-04-2014 05:27 PM

Not at the moment.

I'll try to take a vid next time I take it out.

Really wish mine was a manual, but the auto does ok as long as it's taken out of O/D.

Just curious, why bother rebuilding the blown motor? I can find used take outs on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks all day.

johnnyrocket5363 01-06-2014 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by clipper77 (Post 3117587)
Not at the moment.

I'll try to take a vid next time I take it out.

Really wish mine was a manual, but the auto does ok as long as it's taken out of O/D.

Just curious, why bother rebuilding the blown motor? I can find used take outs on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks all day.

Ummm, where are you?!? I can't find any except on eBay, and those are at least $1,000 plus shipping. I will be using this thing for a while, and I want the longevity.

Plus, I'm a weird little man who finds joy in rebuilding engines...

johnnyrocket5363 01-11-2014 09:31 PM

I just heard yesterday that my block was salvageable. It's on it's way back to get the cylinders bored.