3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horn Headlight Relay Position

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 03:52 PM
PaPa_Capinuraz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Headlight Relay Position

Hey all,
Would like to thank all in advance!!!
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 L
Here's my prob I keep going thought headlight sockets...seems the ground pin was arching and it melted (middle pin socket only)got a new one from napa installed... happened again 2 months later...did some reading and spliced ground to the battery.
That's seemed fine for another few months...now when I use my horn,passenger headlight goes out for about 5 mins.
After talking with friend and friends of friends they suggested the relay switch.
Get one from partsource but don't know where it goes.
Looked in the fuse box can not see any relays related to headlights...just horn fuse.

Does anybody know where the horn/headlight relay goes...is it in cab ?Checked owners manual...nothing.
The only thing the guy at partsource said when looking it up..was it was integrated on left(drives side ) fender...but I can't see where it would go.
Again thanks

Old 12-22-2013, 07:02 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site.

I don't have a manual in front of me but all the relays and fuses are under the hood in the same place.

If you do not have a relay then it is a fused circuit.

what exactly are you trying to do?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 PM
PaPa_Capinuraz

Im trying to NOT have my drivers side headlight go out when i beep the horn...lokking on the net i have foud there are 2 diff relay models...just dont know where it goes...if they sell it shouldnt it be able to go somewhere.its very frustraiting

Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...b=rATj.TBmk5p&

Found an '05 Magnum diagram. It's Top right in the pic

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think this is a relay problem... I think he has a ground fault on the headlight and/or multi-function switch.

Are you using higher wattage than OEM bulbs? (OEM is 35W)... if you're using a 55W bulb or higher then I'd bet that's the issue right there.

Have you taken the Multifunction switch out and looked at it's connector(s) closely?

If you burnt up a few headlight sockets I'd bet that there would be some burns on the multi-function switch's connector as well, or you may have burnt up a wire that is now arcing somewhere...

I'd pull off that Multifunction switch as well as check all the wires from switches to sockets....

Old 12-25-2013, 11:06 AM
PaPa_Capinuraz

turns out the light are drawing some high wattage 80/100.
The website has changed since I was last on it...could have sworn it said lights drew stk wattage...now is says 80/100.
Put my stk ones backno problems so far...I can again beep my horn and my headlight don't go out...so hoplefully the multi-function relay didn't fry.
Thanks again for the replies

Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Aha!! That would do it!!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaPa_Capinuraz
turns out the light are drawing some high wattage 80/100.
The website has changed since I was last on it...could have sworn it said lights drew stk wattage...now is says 80/100.
Put my stk ones backno problems so far...I can again beep my horn and my headlight don't go out...so hoplefully the multi-function relay didn't fry.
Thanks again for the replies
glad you got it figured out.

Quick Reply: Horn Headlight Relay Position