3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 4.7 with six speed 4x4 odd ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 PM
RebornxShiznat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 4.7 with six speed 4x4 odd ticking sound

Hey guys. I've got a question regarding my 08 ram. I am the original owner and over the past six months or so I've noticed my truck has a slight rasp/ticking when warm. The ticking normally is only heard after the truck is warm and you lightly tap the gas. You can hear it best when the truck ks beside a building or something that resonates the sound. If you punch it going down the road no noise. But lightly go into the gas and you can hear it. Its very mild and can't even be heard over the ac/heat or radio... So maybe I'm just crazy. I've laid under the truck and listened and cant really tell where its coming from. Truck runs like a top though. No cels. Oil changed every 3k with Mobil 1. Recently changed to royal purple because I wondered if that's what it was. Never had any metal in the oil either. I've done each oil change myself. Truck has 68k on the clock. Any recommendations or am I just hearing typical 4.7 noises. I knkw these engines aren't the quietest lol

Old 12-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah mine does it. Check your exhaust manifold bolts for any broken, missing, or loose ones.

My 4.7 ticks.. or knocks... its like a soft tick/knock. I'm told it's either a worn/stretched chain and/or a worn/broken chain tensioner OR a loose wrist pin. A mechanic buddy is 95% sure mine is a wrist pin, and not to fret it unless it gets worse. Nearly 20,000 miles later it hasn't gotten worse and the engine runs great.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 PM
RebornxShiznat

So here's a video of the sound I have got going. What do you guys think on this one

Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesnt sound exhaust related to me.

It actually sounds like a slapping chain from worn guides or a clogged/non functioning tensioner

Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM
RebornxShiznat

Yea see I was considering that but it honestly sounds like its coming from the transmission area if you are laying under the truck. Weird part is you can only hear it when you just so slightly get on the gas. Noises goes away under load. Also only can be heard when truck is warmer up. Cold start and no noise.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

well, its hard to diagnose from my computer chair..lol

I do know cracked flywheels can make a shimmer type noise as well. Temp plays a big role.. When a cracked flywheel is cold, it has a slight gap. When it warms up, the metal expands and closes the gap causing the two ends to rub against each other.

Ohh, and dont you know its bad on your fuel pump to run the gas that low?? Fuel is what keep your pump cool!..hahaha

Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM
RebornxShiznat

I'm gonna have to get it looked at here soon. And on the gas thing I was sitting at the pump right there. Rarely ever let it get that low but I burn a 1/4 tank to work and back. Was running late this am and didn't get to stop. Probably less than ten times in 6 years has the truck been below a quarter tank

Quick Reply: 08 4.7 with six speed 4x4 odd ticking sound