3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is there a difference in aftermarket towing mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Dave M
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a difference in aftermarket towing mirrors?

I'm looking for aftermarket power heated towing mirrors for my 07 1500. OEM are out of the question, I'm not paying $400 for mirrors. I've been lookin on EBay and they are priced from $165-$225. By the pictures they look exactly the same, one doesn't look better or worse than the other. I was thinking of going in the middle and grab the one's for $188, but are they the same as the set priced at $165?

Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM
ALW1
Amateur

A few years ago I replaced my driver side mirror. Non of the parts stores carried them and referred me to the dealer.
Yep they are pricey but I found out that it was actually roughly $50 cheaper to buy the pair as a kit for $450 rather than the single mirror for $500.
Sounds crazy I know but that's how it was. I bought the pair and sold the extra one.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The only complaint that I have heard of are the mirror lenses falling down and vibrating while driving down the road. I'm sure its all about quality control because others havent had that problem.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take your chances with aftermarket. Mirror vibrating is the biggest complaint. I bought mine here.
https://www.dodgepartsonline.net/tra...w-mirrors.html. Once you add to cart price drops to $324.00
Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 AM
TheFist
Veteran

I've seen o.e.m on ebay for as little as 255.00, I had bid 250 as max bid. Forgot about it and the next day realized I had been outbid by 5 dollars. The set I have now came from the same seller for 350 if I remember right and that includes shipping.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the imitations and I didn't want to take the chance. That 150 bucks won't seem like much if you get two crappy mirrors that vibrate and won't stay where you want them, then you have to take them off and send them back hoping for a pair that works.

I recently had a drunk Indian fall off the curb right in front of my truck and the mirror hit him right in the face at about 30 mph. The mirror slammed shut up against the truck after hitting the guy. Direct shot on the back, then front of the mirror. I pushed it back out and it was just fine. The cheaper ones may have busted all apart.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 PM
HIHemi
Amateur

For what it's worth, I bought a replacement heated/power side mirror off of Amazon for $30, new in box. It was made by a company out of South Korea, but the fit and finish is as good as the OEM one. It's been on there for 6 months and I haven't had any issues with it. To me, the $160 one from Mopar just didn't seem worth it.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 AM
tevo306

I bought the ebay ones and the mirror seems to be of lesser quality than OEM, when looking into the mirror its like the mirror is rounded a bit more and kinda stretches the image your looking at, doesn't look as clear as my other OEM one. and the defrost doesn't work as quick and good as OEM.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Dave M
Rookie

I got the mirrors the other day. $189 on eBay kool vue is the brand. Both the mirrors were broken in the box. There was absolutely no damage to either box but the plastic was cracked on the thin top part that meets the side of the truck on one, and the mirror was popped out of the other one and the clips that hold it in were broken. I think they had to put ib the box broken, maybe a past return besause the box was in perfect condition. I called the company and they are sending new ones. I mounted them anyway because I was towing this past weekend. I glued the mirror back in and the broken plastic had nothing to do with the mounting or operation of the mirror. They mounted up nice and worked well. The only time the mirrors would viberate was when I hit a pothole. And pretty much everything in the truck vibrates when that happens. Overall I am very pleased with the mirrors even though they were defective. My new ones are coming tomorrow and I get to keep the original set. The difference is unbelievable between these and the clip on mirrors I used to use, I don't know how I did it without them. I would recommend these mirrors based on what I have seen on my first outing.

Last edited by Dave M; 03-18-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there a difference in aftermarket towing mirrors?