3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 HEMI mega cab CONCERNS?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 PM
whitedodgeram1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 HEMI mega cab CONCERNS?????

I bought the truck last year from the original male owner. It had 49k miles on it when I got it middle of 2013. Right now it has under 54k. I drive it mainly on the highway on road trips out of town. The 1st owner took excellent care of it. He was an older guy so not a young gear head or anything.

Concerns:

1) the motor sounds a little off? mainly the heads? just a little weird. Even my cousin noticed it. He said the hemi is known for this??? anyone can comment?

2) the truck is big and has a lot of vibration coming up through the steering wheel. It feels like the tranny?? the gears?? I wonder if the motor or tranny mounts needs replaced??

3) Over steer! the truck over steers. Can i fix this??

4) I would like a tighter steering wheel feeling. Are there bars or something I can buy for the front?

5)******BIGGEST PROBLEM**********
The truck is slow to go into gear in morning after sitting for days. I even got a code before (which went away buy itself). I had a guy check it. He said the governor needs to be replaced in tranny?? and that I should replace the transducer in tranny too? any comments??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

1) Is it ticking? Hemi tick? I don't know of any other noise to be coming from the heads other than maybe a broken spring but you would notice performance and idle issue.s
2)Vibration could be many things actually.
3)I would suggest getting a steering stabilizer. it will help some and also reduce to chance of death wobble which is prone on the 2500's.
4)Early Trans filters had a problem with drain back. The oil filter looking one's. At 54kmi, I would do a trans fluid change and replace the external filter.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-10-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
abarmby
Champion

The gear problem is as DirtyDog states, a drain back issue from the torque converter.
There was a bunch of filters (the spin on canister one) that were defective a while back.
Just do as Dirty said. Drop the transmission pan, Replace both filters, making sure you get the correct flat filter as there are two types. One for a 2wd and one for a 4x4.
Make SURE you install a fresh "O" ring seal on this new flat filter and make SURE you do it correctly, as problems occur if fitted wrongly and the transmission sucks air because of this.
Button the pan back up and carefull tighten the bolts as they are VERY easy to snap off.
Refill with between 7-8 quarts of fresh MOPAR ATF as that's about the correct amount you nee for this partial transmission flush.
Make sure you use the correct and MOPAR approved ATF as others WILL damage your transmission.
This should improve, if not fix your slow gear engagement.
Al.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:48 PM
whitedodgeram1500

Ok and thanks to you both.

It's funny cause I just did a tranny flush. I dropped the pan and cleaned it very well. There was like NO metal at all in pan. I went to dodge and bought the filters, all new pan bolts, and pan sealer. I also flush the front and rear differentials and bought the gaskets from dodge for that too. I did all os this before last years thanksgiving. Well this year after the big snow storm is when I got the first code which the code read the same thing. Something about the filter.

Therefor, I am going to do it. Do you recommend a certain steering brace? Company?

and yes I think its the ticking head thing. bummer. Can we do something to correct it??

Quick Reply: 2006 HEMI mega cab CONCERNS?????