3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Lamp Out Issue

Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 PM
042500moltenred
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Lamp Out Issue

I have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 quad cab hemi only has 36000 on it. I am having the headlight lamp out issue that I have read on here before but mine is a little different.

When the issue first came up I replaced the 9007 pigtails on both sides even though the driver side was out. All bulbs are fine. All worked drove it some then the passenger side went. So replaced both pigtails again and it worked for a while. Now it is acting up again. While working on it I noticed that while I am on the passenger side if I move the wiring near the firewall towards the cab the passenger light would go off and on. Is there a ground going or is there something that playing tricks with me.

I do not think that I need a new control box as the lights are on now but who knows for how long. My battery is a little older with weaker amperage, could a not so great battery do this. The truck starts fine but the ammeter on the dash says it is on the lower end.

Lastly, do the headlights get really hot while in use? I just do not remember any of my other vehicles getting that hot. Maybe its just me wanted to ask incase I made a mistake with the wiring I did doubt it but want to make sure.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, headlights get hot.
No, a weak battery would not cause flickering, it would only cause a light to go dim.

Sounds like you have a loose connection some where. This could be at a terminal or within the wire itself. Wires can corrode inside the jacket.
Also, make sure your under hood fuse box does not have corrosion on the underside.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 AM
042500moltenred

Where do I look for the corrosion. Thanks!!!

If it is not corroded how can I find the bad wire.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:34 PM
042500moltenred

Okay so I have been trying to figure out my issue here it is.

When I tug on the wires that is no my problem. The problem is when I move on the wires that go right into the pigtail and move them around, (I mean the wires that are just behind the 9007 socket that came siliconed into the pigtail) the light will go off and on.

Even though this is my second set of pigtails form advance I am thinking \they are junk and maybe I need to order them form the factory or try autozone maybe they are made better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Lamp Out Issue