3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Fluid Levels and Dip Stick Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:21 PM
jccourtney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Levels and Dip Stick Issues

Has anyone ever had problems reading their dipstick?

MY ISSUE:

I can't seem to get an accurate reading with my dipstick. I had the truck idle in neutral per the dipstick instructions on level ground, and fluid gets all over the dipstick. I inserted the dipstick until it was fully seated on the tube. The fluid was showing above the hot markings, so I slowly removed fluid into a clean bottle with a hand siphon pump. The fluid is cold (70 to 80 deg), but the fluid is still reading above the cold markings after roughly 7 quarts were removed.

This doesn't seem right. I have even waited a full day to let the fluid fully drain out of the dipstick tube, and I'm still getting the same results. What am I missing? I'm contemplating putting some back in, as I'm having a hard time trusting the dipstick.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Recently I changed my transmission fluid and flushed the torque converter. I drained the pan, installed a 1.5 qt deeper pan, added about 6-7 quarts. I then proceeded to flush the system by hooking up a spare rubber tube to the return side of the trans cooler. I continued until the dirty fluid looked clean, and I added quarts back in as the fluid poured into a catch pan. I gauged how much fluid to add by eyeballing the amount of fluid in the catch pan.

I added about another 6 or 7 quarts because I had about the same amount of fluid in the catch pan. I was not able to measure how much fluid was in the catch pan during the flush or drain portions of the job since I previously did my transfer case and already had fluid in the pan.

What should I be doing?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My book says to get the trans to operating temp and then put it in park to check the fluid level

Old 06-13-2014, 09:47 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be checked hot.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Levels and Dip Stick Issues