3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sway Bar Issues? Bent Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 05:48 PM
ryblmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Issues? Bent Front End?

Hello all, long time lurker (years and years), and have enjoyed the forum. Now - I am totally stumped on something and I must post it!

I recently purchased a 2008 SXT Single Cab at a price I couldn't pass up. It has front end issues, so I decided to get underneath and do a good inspection. What I came across had me scratching my head! The sway bar links seem to be ajar and put into a bind. Would this possibly mean a bent sway bar overall? I have never seen sway bar links look this way. The drivers side lower ball joint is bad, as are both wheel bearings (and obviously the sway bar links). Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by ryblmc; 07-23-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:42 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No responses yet so I will take a guess. Yep, doesn’t look right to me, but my experience is with 4 wheel drives. Does look like it’s been worked on in the past due to the difference in lower ball joints. Maybe someone put the wrong lower control arms on ???

Old 07-24-2023, 12:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Might see if you can find a similar year 2wd, and see if it looks the same. The angles appear to be fairly close to each other..... I doubt you got a uniform 'bend' that ain't supposed to be there. Or, maybe the sway bar was replaced at some point in the past, and the wrong one was installed??

Old 07-24-2023, 12:19 PM
aleekat
Professional
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It kinda looks like your sway bar is not centered. My 2003. EDIT: But based on everything you say is wrong with the front end, that may be it.

Last edited by aleekat; 07-24-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:23 PM
ryblmc

Any recommendations on specific brands for specific parts? While I have the front end dropped, what bushings, parts, etc, should I go ahead and replace? Shocks and springs as well? Control arms? Control arm bushings?

Old 07-25-2023, 07:52 AM
aleekat
Professional

I've used Detroit Axle cheaper on Amazon(a kit). Have no idea of your budget. Upper ball joint is sold in the upper control arm already. Lower is not(that's a bear of a job. Sway bar links/bushing. Might inspect your brakes since you'll be removing for them. Maybe outer tie rods. Not sure about shocks, springs. How many miles? Also price on Rockauto.com.

Last edited by aleekat; 07-25-2023 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:09 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I"ve had good experiences with Moog, Mevotech, and Centric.
Aleekat, I believe you can replace the upper ball joints on the 2wd separately without replacing the control arm.
You mention front end issues, what symptoms are you seeing?

Old 07-25-2023, 08:12 PM
aleekat
Professional

jrsick. Your are correct but much easier doing the upper arms.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:38 AM
ryblmc

I’ve had good experiences with Moog, and I’ve removed ball joints from before from both upper and lower arms. I’ve never removed control arm bushings though. Id like to go the cheapest yet most quality product out there. I’m wanting to do shocks, wheel bearings, sway bushings, sway links, and all ball joints. Any suggestions on these?

Old 07-26-2023, 05:08 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I think its a crap shoot on brand. Mevotech will give you a longer warranty. Mostly I buy from RockAuto to save $. Knowing I'll likely have delays for have warranty exchange issues. I put some really cheap sway bar links and they were junk within two years, but so cheap I just tossed them and bought a better set.

I push grease into the bearing areas on the wheel bearings before I install them. I think it helps, haven't had one fail when I do that.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Issues? Bent Front End?