3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and Brake Dash light problem

Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Brake Dash light problem

For the past couple weeks I have had my Brake and ABS light coming on my dash. It comes with no rhyme or reason and always clears when I turn the truck off. Has anyone had this problem before? Could this be my ABS sensor or something like that???

Old 08-28-2014, 02:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Yes. The system is telling you something is wrong. You can check the wheel sensors, but your best bet is to have the codes read so you know exactly what the problem is.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

I figured that but what gets me is why does it go away every time I turn it off?? Sometime it comes back on, sometimes it doesnt. Most problems I have had, especially with sensors are they work or they dont. Also, I don't notice any issues braking and they fluid is full.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the brake system does NOT work the same as the engine system..

the truck must be moving before the computer can read the data from the sensors.. all sensors... and if not correct it reports the error.....
the codes are in its memory and are storied.. but at the restart.. it reads the sensors FIRST and the truck must be moving to do that...

and the ABS system does not do anything to the brake system until its needed...
NOT needed the ABS system does nothing to your normal braking...
that is why you do not feel any difference.

like the others have said.. get a computer readout.. to know what is wrong and needs fixed. DO NOT just replace parts.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

I realize that your abs doesnt kick in unless you are skidding. But there are no other noticable issues with the brakes is what I ment.

The problem with a computer reading is they can only read what is wrong when the light is on, and I don't really know when that will be. Sometimes it is, sometimes it doesnt come on. Every once and a while it will start before my truck is even started or moving so I'm not sure about it having to be in motion to read a problem. Other vehicles I have owned have showed an ABS light without moving.

I don't want to start throwing parts at it, that is why I am asking if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

My truck does the same thing. Comes on, usually in park... Then a few minutes later its gone. Mine will come on once and stay on for a few minutes and then disappear... Let me know if as well if anyone may have a solution.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 AM
jwleonard
Rookie

While not positive on this I believe the wheel speed sensors are tested when the key is turned on. I think it checks the resistance to make sure they are connected and not shorted or open. Once you start moving the system is checking that all sensors show the same speed. For both of you with problems since you don't seem to be able to read codes, I would buy a wheel speed sensor and install in each position until the problem goes away. Also, OBD2 codes readers are able to see the history of faults even if the warning light isn't on at that time.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwleonard
While not positive on this I believe the wheel speed sensors are tested when the key is turned on. I think it checks the resistance to make sure they are connected and not shorted or open. Once you start moving the system is checking that all sensors show the same speed. For both of you with problems since you don't seem to be able to read codes, I would buy a wheel speed sensor and install in each position until the problem goes away. Also, OBD2 codes readers are able to see the history of faults even if the warning light isn't on at that time.
Only the higher end OBDII scanners can see "History"... I believe the ABS system faults aren't on the OBDII System though... I believe they are handled through the DRBIII system... which needs a special scanner to be read.... I'm not 100% sure b/c I don't remember how this truck's ABS system is setup....

Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Nsmitty21
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
Only the higher end OBDII scanners can see "History"... I believe the ABS system faults aren't on the OBDII System though... I believe they are handled through the DRBIII system... which needs a special scanner to be read.... I'm not 100% sure b/c I don't remember how this truck's ABS system is setup....
Yeah, this is more along the lines of what I was told. I was also told the ABS system doesn't store history, that is why the light needs to be on to get a reading.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:11 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran

an ABS system scanner is needed. and most parts store around here do not have one handy . to read your truck.

the big Snap-on or dealer machine.. unless you can find someone with the 150 dollar one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS and Brake Dash light problem