DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Do I need to worry? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/379421-do-i-need-to-worry.html)

beech2000 09-12-2014 07:24 AM

Do I need to worry?

During an oil change visit the Napa auto care manager commented that he was not used to seeing 2003 HEMI trucks with 260,000 miles and asked if it was the original engine. Response of course was yes and he said what happens is the early hemi's like to break valve springs. Do I need to worry? This work truck is all highway and spends 5 days a week toting me and my tools to airports. Anything I can do to make sure I'm not a victim?

HammerZ71 09-12-2014 08:31 AM

Common problem in the '03 and early '04 Hemi is weak valve springs. These were replaced fairly early in the '04 model year with stouter ones. A lot of people swap 'em out for the stronger ones as they are not expensive.

A broken valve spring doesn't always do in the engine, although it could depending on how fast you're going and how fast you can shut it down.

If these are the original springs at 260,000 miles, I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless you want to make a weekend over-haul project out of it. I mean at a quarter million miles it a basic over-haul wouldn't be a bad idea anyway...

jkeaton 09-12-2014 08:34 AM

x2 ^^^

HemiLonestar 09-12-2014 10:46 AM

I'm at 140,000+ on my originals, you are damn near twice that. As stated, at that mileage some replacements wouldn't be a bad idea even for newer springs.

p38251 09-12-2014 11:29 AM

If it ain't broke. Leave it alone. Keep doing what your doing, it's obviously working.

TNtech 09-12-2014 12:08 PM

We see many with high mileage.

The biggest mistake people make with the Hemi valve springs is not recognizing what it is, throwing parts at it, at the same time running the crap out of it while totally unaware they're doing more damage.

beech2000 09-12-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 3195099)
Common problem in the '03 and early '04 Hemi is weak valve springs. These were replaced fairly early in the '04 model year with stouter ones. A lot of people swap 'em out for the stronger ones as they are not expensive.

A broken valve spring doesn't always do in the engine, although it could depending on how fast you're going and how fast you can shut it down.

If these are the original springs at 260,000 miles, I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless you want to make a weekend over-haul project out of it. I mean at a quarter million miles it a basic over-haul wouldn't be a bad idea anyway...

Can they be changed without pulling the heads off? I have the perfect candidate for performing the job.

beech2000 09-12-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by p38251 (Post 3195142)
If it ain't broke. Leave it alone. Keep doing what your doing, it's obviously working.

I guess I am worried. A new vehicle is in order but funds are being absorbed by kids schools.
Wonder what replacement engines run

Prismatic 09-12-2014 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by beech2000 (Post 3195190)
Can they be changed without pulling the heads off? I have the perfect candidate for performing the job.

Of course. Just need some shop air, a compression gauge hose minus the schrader valve, and a valve spring compressor.

MikeHTally 09-12-2014 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by beech2000 (Post 3195190)

Absotively. Mine broke the #6 exhaust spring @ 122K. It broke while the engine was idling, so no damage, fortunately. I did the valve stem seals and push rods while I had it apart. Not the easiest job, but not the nightmare I had feared.

beech2000 09-13-2014 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MikeHTally (Post 3195222)
Absotively. Mine broke the #6 exhaust spring @ 122K. It broke while the engine was idling, so no damage, fortunately. I did the valve stem seals and push rods while I had it apart. Not the easiest job, but not the nightmare I had feared.

If I do this should I go with the dodge springs or aftermarket??

abarmby 09-13-2014 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by beech2000 (Post 3195290)
If I do this should I go with the dodge springs or aftermarket??

Use 16 x stock 6.1 exhaust springs for your 5.7.
Good to go.
Btw change out your valve stem oil seals at the same time.
Al.

HammerZ71 09-13-2014 01:53 PM

Yep, not a big job. You can use the 5.7s but the 6.1s are even stronger and cost the same, pretty cheap even from the stealership.

With 240,000 on the clock anything can happen at any time, but you can totally rebuild it pretty cheap. I had a 4.7 HO in my old Grand Cherokee drop a valve seat and pretty much grenade (see Jeep Section), and bought a complete engine rebuild kit - I mean everything, pistons, rings, timing, right down to freeze plugs for under a grand. Rebuilding a OHC in the vehicle was a b*tch, your pushrod engine would be a breeze in comparison. The key was I got it shut down quick, only had a couple slight scratches in the cylinder wall on the one the seat dropped in. Scuffed out perfectly smooth.

If it was mine, I'd do a minor overhaul, replace the springs and drive it like I stole it.

beech2000 09-14-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 3195366)
Yep, not a big job. You can use the 5.7s but the 6.1s are even stronger and cost the same, pretty cheap even from the stealership.

With 240,000 on the clock anything can happen at any time, but you can totally rebuild it pretty cheap. I had a 4.7 HO in my old Grand Cherokee drop a valve seat and pretty much grenade (see Jeep Section), and bought a complete engine rebuild kit - I mean everything, pistons, rings, timing, right down to freeze plugs for under a grand. Rebuilding a OHC in the vehicle was a b*tch, your pushrod engine would be a breeze in comparison. The key was I got it shut down quick, only had a couple slight scratches in the cylinder wall on the one the seat dropped in. Scuffed out perfectly smooth.

If it was mine, I'd do a minor overhaul, replace the springs and drive it like I stole it.

My thoughts as well.
What p/n is the 6.1 valve springs?
Also do you know the p/n for the seals?
Should I changed the keepers as well?

MikeHTally 09-14-2014 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by beech2000 (Post 3195497)
My thoughts as well.
What p/n is the 6.1 valve springs?
Also do you know the p/n for the seals?
Should I changed the keepers as well?

I bought just the stock springs P/N 0503 7477 AD, valve stem seals FelPro P/N SS 72914. The push rods' P/Ns 0503 7475AB-001 and 1-0503 7476AB. I bought some keepers (P/N 5301 0515 AA) just in case on of 'em went zipping off into the fourth dimension. Wound up not using any new ones. The dealer wanted $340 for new springs. I bought a full set with push rods and valve stem seals for < $200

abarmby 09-14-2014 01:00 PM

Yep..... I bought my springs a long time ago from Art at Hensons Performance.
No need for new keepers but as Mike said above...... Always better to have a few as spares just in case.
If you do this yourself, Weedahoe has a video tutorial on how to change a camshaft on here.
You can use that for guidance on your springs instal.
Look under his signature for the link.
Its a quality walk through and time well spent by Weed, for us all to benefit from him.
Props Weed.

beech2000 09-14-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by abarmby (Post 3195519)
Yep..... I bought my springs a long time ago from Art at Hensons Performance.
No need for new keepers but as Mike said above...... Always better to have a few as spares just in case.
If you do this yourself, Weedahoe has a video tutorial on how to change a camshaft on here.
You can use that for guidance on your springs instal.
Look under his signature for the link.
Its a quality walk through and time well spent by Weed, for us all to benefit from him.
Props Weed.

Great, So stock doesn't mean to buy them from Dodge right? Pushrods? Those too?
What head on engine spring compressor works the best for the 5.7 hemi's

beech2000 04-18-2015 02:44 AM

Well I waited to long. Broke a valve springs yesterday. Forced to drive vehicle 100 miles but made it home. She has 288457 on odometer now. Decision time. Fortunately the valve didn't drop. Summit has a set in stock of "sealed power" springs. Any thoughts on these? I could fix this weekend.
This vehicle is my job and sure would love another year of service from her.

HammerZ71 04-21-2015 07:27 PM

I'm sure they will be fine. I only have experience with comps, Manley and the 6.1 Mopar springs. By reputation the Manley ' are the top dog, but are priced accordingly.

Keep us posted...

beech2000 04-24-2015 09:58 PM

Good news, I'm back on the road. Truck broke the valve springs last Friday, replaced them Saturday, bath and oil change on Sunday. Now Friday a week later and drove her almost 1400 Miles this Week on the new springs. Worked out great. Wonder whats next????