DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   2004 Ram 1500 5.7L - 9.25 Limited Slip - Metal Found (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/384345-2004-ram-1500-5-7l-9-25-limited-slip-metal-found.html)

sambo0012 02-18-2015 07:17 PM

2004 Ram 1500 5.7L - 9.25 Limited Slip - Metal Found

5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,
I have a 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. This truck is equipped with the 3.92 9.25" Limited Slip differential. Last weekend I did a differential fluid change. Overall everything appears to be in really good condition. Gear set looks perfect. The gear oil had 20,000 miles on it. The magnet collected one piece of metal. Other than that I could not find any other metal other than a dusting. Can anyone identify this piece of metal and where it might of come from? I have heard a lot of talk about clips breaking in these rear ends, but I am not sure that this is a clip.

As far as the differential procedure goes, I loosened the bottom pumpkin bolts and let the fluid drain.
Cleaned the mating surfaces and cleaned the pumpkin cover
Applied Permatex 81182 Gear oil RTV Gasket maker to the pumpkin cover
Installed and tightened the bolts hand tight.
I waited one hour then torqued to 30ft/lbs
I waited for the RTV to cure overnight (I had time to wait)
Filled the differential with 75w140 Valvoline synthetic gear oil and added 4oz of the MOPAR limited slip additive.
Filled until fluid started barely coming out of the fill hole.

No leaks.

Please let me know what you think this piece of metal is. Much appreciated.

Sam

joebaum 02-18-2015 10:35 PM

That is indeed the clip that breaks, you need to fix it now before it destroys your rearend!
That is the end of the clip that holds clutch packs in place.
Sorry for your bad luck , I've been there . I'm still blown away that dodge won't stand behind this.

Brandon Anderson 02-19-2015 01:27 AM

The limited slip Clip of Doom™! LoL
But seriously, get it fixed before you grenade your differential while driving down the highway.

sambo0012 02-19-2015 06:20 PM

So what are the options? From what I have seen online so far the piece that I found is only part of the actual retainer. What risk do I run by driving it another 20,000 miles until the next fluid change? It obviously is already partially broken, what do I risk tearing up further?

What is involved in fixing the issue? I would rather not replaced the entire differential if I do not have to.

Sam

Daves69 02-19-2015 07:07 PM

All you need (not) is a stray part of the clip to lock up the rear at any speed and surely something will break. Check in the common issues..................

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...dodge-ram.html

one of several here.............

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ces-found.html

Not a good deal from Chrysler for us LSD owners.

joebaum 02-19-2015 07:46 PM

what will happen is . since the clip broke it will allow the remander of clip /retainer to make contact with the carrier bearing cap AND the housing its self which will grind away contaminating the whole axle assmbly with metal and destroy all bearings and housing if not addressed.

Brandon Anderson 02-19-2015 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by sambo0012 (Post 3228139)
So what are the options? From what I have seen online so far the piece that I found is only part of the actual retainer. What risk do I run by driving it another 20,000 miles until the next fluid change? It obviously is already partially broken, what do I risk tearing up further?

What is involved in fixing the issue? I would rather not replaced the entire differential if I do not have to.

Sam

I wouldn't drive 2 miles with it like that. If the rest if that clip comes off and gets stuck in the gears, there are a good many terrible things that can happen, including locking up the rear wheels when you least expect it.

joebaum 02-19-2015 08:19 PM

It's not going to fail like that. Yes if enough damage to bearings causes gear to gears meshing problems like pinion to ring or side to spider , than yes it could catastrophically fail . But I wouldn't be afraid to drive it.

joebaum 02-19-2015 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by sambo0012 (Post 3228139)

Sam

If your up to it ? Replace carrier with a aftermarket carrier assembly ( truetrac ) ( auburn ) whatever you choose now before you have to replace all internals. OR take it to a 4x4 shop to do it . OR sell truck soon.

GreenEH 02-19-2015 08:54 PM

I have had two LSDs (one on a 2002 and another on a 2003) which have experienced that very breakage. One I put another 50000km on, the other I have about 30000km on the clock since finding the part on the magnet, who knows how long it broke before I pulled the cover. I haven't had catastrophic rear end failure, knock on wood, but it is on my list to get fixed once I have the spare cash. The only thing I noticed is the LSD doesn't work :icon_emm: