DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Intake cracked (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/386799-intake-cracked.html)

kschaeffer67 05-05-2015 06:48 PM

Intake cracked

Maybe you can help. have a 2003 1500 hemi and was told the plenum is cracked. I had an offer to JB Weld it but than others told me NOT to do this. Called a dealership and they run about $450 brand new. Can I get by with the crack being welded or using a used one from a junk yard. Just trying to get others opinions. By the way, Im female and people don't think I know what Im talking about. Just wanted to throw that out there. lol Any advice would be appreciated

HeyYou 05-05-2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kschaeffer67 (Post 3244359)
Maybe you can help. have a 2003 1500 hemi and was told the plenum is cracked. I had an offer to JB Weld it but than others told me NOT to do this. Called a dealership and they run about $450 brand new. Can I get by with the crack being welded or using a used one from a junk yard. Just trying to get others opinions. By the way, Im female and people don't think I know what Im talking about. Just wanted to throw that out there. lol Any advice would be appreciated

That's actually a third gen truck, so, you are *almost* in the right place. :)

But: What's the manifold made of? If it's plastic, JB Weld might work for a while, but, I wouldn't want my motor to ingest any of that...... could be bad. Could also call around to junkyards, and see if you can pick up a used one..... If no one local has one car-part.com is a great resource.

jkeaton 05-05-2015 07:53 PM

Moved to the correct section.

HemiLonestar 05-07-2015 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by kschaeffer67 (Post 3244359)

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3244371)
That's actually a third gen truck, so, you are *almost* in the right place. :)

But: What's the manifold made of? If it's plastic, JB Weld might work for a while, but, I wouldn't want my motor to ingest any of that...... could be bad. Could also call around to junkyards, and see if you can pick up a used one..... If no one local has one car-part.com is a great resource.

If you have an 03 hemi, your intake manifold is plastic. Find an uncracked replacement. You might have issues actually finding one in a junkyard, I would check ebay or car-part.com. You always run risks with used parts, finding one that came off a good running engine will mitigate that to an extent.

MikeHTally 05-07-2015 06:17 PM

Rock Auto shows the 5127193AF MoPar intake manifold for $325. End seal and gaskets look to be ~$20 or so extra.

SmokinJoe02 05-08-2015 07:17 AM

Lots of them on CL in my area.

SJ03

weedahoe 05-09-2015 06:37 PM

I have an intake sitting here in the shelf for a 5.7