3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Dodge Ram 1500 grinding noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:36 PM
shawowzer1981
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dodge Ram 1500 grinding noise?

About 4 days ago I noticed that when I applied my brakes it started making a grinding sound like I was dragging a metal can coming from the rear tires. Brand new tires not even a month old, No wear on the brake pads or rotors. Thought maybe brake calipers? But, it's not a consistent problem when braking it's usually at low speeds and approaching a stop sign or light that it happens. shows no sign of rubbing or rock either. Well last night got my husband (who isn't an expert but has some experience with working on vehicles) take a look and he believes it may be the axle barrings are bad. Okay... going to go ahead and say what my girl brain wants to ask lol.... Is this a bad issue? Can I still drive my truck? What is the worse case scenario if it breaks all together? Will my axle fall off in mid drive on the highway? Is this a common issue? and the golden question.... Is it a pricey fix? Sorry for all the questions but I know a little about vehicles but I don't know much.. hence the reason I sell shoes lol.. Thank you in advance and hope to get it figured out

Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 AM
abarmby
Champion

Could be bearing or it could be the rear brake shoes delaminating as has happened on more than a few occasions.
Only way to tell is, to strip and examine the rear running gear and brakes unfortunately.
Its guess work if you dont.
Al.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Pull the drums off and inspect.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:03 PM
abarmby
Champion

Quick tip that many people forget to do when pulling the rear drums off.
Make sure you adjust the ebrake through the rear back plate slots, making sure your not adjusting them tight (wheel will lock up and not turn). Rather slacken the adjustment off, so it helps the rear internal ebrake shoes clear the inside of the drum/disc assembly.
No amount of pounding with a sledge will free off the disc/drum without doing this adjustment.

Al.

Quick Reply: 02 Dodge Ram 1500 grinding noise?