DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Leveling kit question (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/388793-leveling-kit-question.html)

Tex75 07-24-2015 09:20 PM

Leveling kit question

After getting my new wheels and tires, which come in in a few days, Im considering purchasing a leveling kit for my 2004 dodge ram 1500 2WD 5.7L Hemi. I have a few followup questions:

1) I measured my back and front tire height from the body, and the back is 7 inches high and the front is 3.5 inches high (from the top of the stock tire) Now I have been reading multiple articles saying leveling kits raise the front to level with the back, lifting the front a maximum of 2 inches. What do I need to do to make that its correctly leveled?

2) I am considering getting a legend series ranch hand for my truck as well. I was curious if I should purchase this before the leveling kit to see if it alters the front end even more and making it sag lower? I didn't know if it would make a significant difference.

3) What KIND of leveling kit should I purchase? Im reading articles about different ways to level and what not. And I don't exactly know what to purchase in a kit.

4) Finally, I am in need of buying new shocks soon. Is there a order in which I should purchase a brushguard, level kit, and shocks? Will I have to purchase larger shocks because of the leveling kit?

Thank you so much for your help in advance! :icon_qtank:

p38251 07-24-2015 10:34 PM

Look into bilstein leveling shocks

bobb050 07-31-2015 10:54 AM

I went to Bilsteins page and did not find leveling shocks for my 2006 2wd. Did I miss something? Is the suspension on mine different than the OP's?
Bob

powerwashguy 01-29-2017 03:48 PM

1. u need to measure from ground to top of fender edge front back subtract difference that will give u level kit size to order, just put 3in level kit on 04 ram1500 2wd.looks great but rides rough, i am looking for answer as to do i need to get different shocks.
PS i would wait until u put new tires on ,might make a difference in height.
By the way this is all new to me as well.
Good Luck

Yanenn 12-07-2018 04:03 AM

KYB KG54342 Gas-a-Just Gas Shock is great Shocks.....well made. Better than Monroe and in my opinion best bang for the buck. I installed them on my 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 liter Hemi with the 5'7" bed. Better than OEM shocks any day. I used KYB on my Toyota Tacoma 2 years ago and they are still ridding great.

This is a classic OEM replacement part; the price is reasonable for the quality provided and you won’t feel a difference between the original new model and this aftermarket model.
When it comes to optimized performance, you want the KYB Gas-a-Just monotube shock absorber. This monotube shock has two separate working chambers, the first chamber holds the air-free hydraulic piston and valve for responsiveness and control, and the second chamber holds a high-pressure nitrogen gas with a floating piston. These two chambers work in perfect harmony provided a comfortable ride for road trips and added instant performance for extreme conditions.

This model comes with a stroke length of 9.84”, it has a compressed length of 15.94” and an extended length of 25.78”, and comes with an integrated extended bumper stop.

Other good shock is Bilstein (24-186087) 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber like this https://mechanicfaq.com/shocks-for-d...shock_absorber. This is a comprehensive monotube model that comes with a slightly inflated price tag, but that’s only because of it a complete monotube model that delivers beyond expected performance while maintaining stock and OEM levels.

MoparFanatic21 12-07-2018 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by powerwashguy (Post 3327680)
1. u need to measure from ground to top of fender edge front back subtract difference that will give u level kit size to order, just put 3in level kit on 04 ram1500 2wd.looks great but rides rough, i am looking for answer as to do i need to get different shocks.
PS i would wait until u put new tires on ,might make a difference in height.
By the way this is all new to me as well.
Good Luck

Did you use a spacer leveling kit?

Originally Posted by Tex75 (Post 3256447)
After getting my new wheels and tires, which come in in a few days, Im considering purchasing a leveling kit for my 2004 dodge ram 1500 2WD 5.7L Hemi. I have a few followup questions:

1) I measured my back and front tire height from the body, and the back is 7 inches high and the front is 3.5 inches high (from the top of the stock tire) Now I have been reading multiple articles saying leveling kits raise the front to level with the back, lifting the front a maximum of 2 inches. What do I need to do to make that its correctly leveled?

2) I am considering getting a legend series ranch hand for my truck as well. I was curious if I should purchase this before the leveling kit to see if it alters the front end even more and making it sag lower? I didn't know if it would make a significant difference.

3) What KIND of leveling kit should I purchase? Im reading articles about different ways to level and what not. And I don't exactly know what to purchase in a kit.

4) Finally, I am in need of buying new shocks soon. Is there a order in which I should purchase a brushguard, level kit, and shocks? Will I have to purchase larger shocks because of the leveling kit?

Thank you so much for your help in advance! :icon_qtank:

If you go higher then 2.5" you need new shocks. Look into leveling springs as the spacers give you a rough ride. A ranch hand is heavy so you may need to install a Cummins leveling spring to get it level.

MoparFanatic21 12-07-2018 08:38 PM

Didn't notice this thread was old, my mistake.

mbailey478 07-23-2019 08:29 PM

Have a 2003 ram 1500 single cab. Having the hardest time with my truck. Front end problems is the issue. Riding over the smallest bumps or cracks feel every bit of it. Replaced shocks, upper and lower ball joints both sides, tire rod ins, stabilizer links and still have the same ride. Ran out of options. Any ideas?

cristo3201 01-18-2021 01:27 PM

Good Day all! Just purchased a 2021 Durango G/T, the White Elephant. She is a beast stock and would love to sweeten her up but not much available yet. I'll post some pics soon, just wanted to sign in and intro myself. I love Dodge and wish to get to know some of you and pick your performance brains. Till then, Chao

Frogier 12-19-2021 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by mbailey478 (Post 3446571)
Have a 2003 ram 1500 single cab. Having the hardest time with my truck. Front end problems is the issue. Riding over the smallest bumps or cracks feel every bit of it. Replaced shocks, upper and lower ball joints both sides, tire rod ins, stabilizer links and still have the same ride. Ran out of options. Any ideas?

100% body mount bushings. you'll be amazed!