DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   modifications for 37s to fit (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/401245-modifications-for-37s-to-fit.html)

firegoldy52 02-18-2017 05:17 PM

modifications for 37s to fit

Have 05 1500 ram hemi 2wd with 3 inch rough country suspension lift kit and 3 inch body lift kit running with racing wheel 20 rims. Would like to put on 37 x 12.5 x 20 on. Noticed that there will be modifications to be made to fender whales to get fit. Width of tire will clear both control arms. Any suggestions on cutting or modifications to be made? Will settle for 35s but would like 37s

Thanks brothers

jkeaton 02-19-2017 07:51 AM

On a 2wd? Why?

firegoldy52 02-19-2017 02:42 PM

Why almost everyone wants big tires?....cause it looks cool. No, do not want to drop $$$ for a 4x4 truck. Love my paid off 2wd pavement pounder truck. Now, any suggestions or just want to debate 2wd vs 4 wheel drive. Sorry to be crassy but after spending money on chemo can leave a guy little less in the pocket

Chet Ubetcha 02-19-2017 06:15 PM

What is your gearing? Are you planning on upgrading anything in your drivetrain? Your transmission and rear are going to hate you. :D

To help answer your question, have you looked in the pinned "tire fitment" thread yet? There's lots of good info in there to at least give you a start. I don't ever recall seeing anyone on here with 37's on a 2WD, but maybe someone can chime in.

firegoldy52 02-19-2017 07:02 PM

Brother, I am not a gear head but just someone who is going for a "look" that I always wanted but could not afford.

Stock 05 hemi 1500 2wd. I am gathering info just to see if it is feasible.

I did wonder over in the thread but I admit that I did not diligently look it over with fine tooth comb. Thanks for the direction. Any of the same stated above issues with 35's ?

Appreciate the info thanks!

jkeaton 02-20-2017 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by firegoldy52 (Post 3331246)
Why almost everyone wants big tires?....cause it looks cool. No, do not want to drop $$$ for a 4x4 truck. Love my paid off 2wd pavement pounder truck. Now, any suggestions or just want to debate 2wd vs 4 wheel drive. Sorry to be crassy but after spending money on chemo can leave a guy little less in the pocket

LOL. Mall crawlers rock.

firegoldy52 02-20-2017 11:49 AM

Whether driving in the dirt or parked on the parking lot its about looking good! lol

jkeaton 02-20-2017 12:13 PM

I hear ya. But I agree with Chet, you're going to need lower gears.

p38251 02-20-2017 09:19 PM

Yup. Alot more to it than just throwing big tires on.

Chet Ubetcha 02-20-2017 10:45 PM

Hey, he's the only one that has to like what he's driving. If OP just wants the image, then good for him. Now, the question is: "What kind of assistance can we offer here at DF?"

I'm not a seasoned mechanic, by any means. However, from experience here and in the Jeep world, I know a little about overloading stock components (and that's a bad thing). 37"s are big, heavy tires that take a lot of grunt to get, and keep, moving. Your transmission and rear gears take the brunt of that every single time you step on the accelerator pedal. Don't even THINK about trying to leave rubber with tires that size with stock parts. I know you have the lift, but that RC kit is a show lift, and not much more. Not trying to dissuade you from what you want, but just know what you are getting into before you throw thousands of dollars at it just to find yourself with a bunch of broken parts rather quickly.

I don't see where you are from, but 35"s would be the safer and more cost-effective bet, especially if you are in a mostly flat area. As with the bigger tires, though, the more weight you have to get rolling, the more stress on the drivetrain. Don't drive like a douche and you should be just fine with 35"s... as long as gas mileage is of no concern. :D